Pre 6000 Mark IVs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
Sorry for the title, I'm in a mischievous mood I guess :twisted:

I was just wondering if anyone thinks there is a tone/eq difference in the later Mark IVs?

I've been listening to a lot of clips online (bad I know) and it seems that my amp (serial 5xxx - B version) sounds more bright/metallic/tinny whatever you wanna call it than the clips of later models.

Before people start going crazy, I'm NOT saying its ANY BETTER, it just sounds like a voicing difference, talking about the lead channel, mine sounds more 80/90's metal wheras the new ones seems to be slightly more eq'd like a rectifier.

The Mark IIs and IIIs all had changes we know about, did it happen with the Mark IVs too other than MarkIVA and Bs? Discuss :p

Cab makes a lot of difference. Are you sure you're using the same cabs as the guys that played the amps that you were referring to?

You know something. I feel the graphic eq is much more subtle on the A version than the B. Kinda strange but my B sounds meaner with it engaged than my A, all imho of course. Would be curious to hear if somebody has experienced something alike

trem said:
Cab makes a lot of difference. Are you sure you're using the same cabs as the guys that played the amps that you were referring to?

True true, I'm using a Thiele and a lot of clips are using recto cabs.

Slightly OT but I'm actually preferring my openback Marshall 2x12 with G75Ts at the moment when playing at home volumes.

I think the Thiele needs to be cranked to get that EV12 working and can sound a bit compressed and middy at low volumes.

Latest posts

Back