Poweramp help needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFW

Reaction score
So as you know, I recently purchased a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis. At the time, I blew most of the money in my budget on the preamp- so I picked up a used ADA Micro Tube 200 poweramp. The poweramp is "ok" at best for the tones that I am striving for. I eventually plan to get the Mesa Simul 2:90 poweramp, as it was made to go with the Triaxis. However, that probably won't be for a while. I recently ran across a really good deal on a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp. My question is: how much "thump" can I expect from 100 watts of EL84 power? I know it won't be the same as 180 watts of 6L6 power, but will it sound like a 100 watt monster? I want something warm and full sounding. My only experience with EL84s has been small wattage amps (usually under 30 watts), so I don't know if the 50/50 will have the low end response that I am looking for. Of course, I could just be over thinking this whole process, as the 50/50 will surely sound better than the ADA. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Joel

Is it EL84s or EL 34s?
I expect it to be EL34s, that is more in line with 50/50 watts of power.
EL84s are known for having less low end than regular octal type power tubes. I don't mean it has NO low end, just that it is less than the big tubes.

Hey,

I purchased a Peavey 50/50 back when I was searching for a good preamp. Those EL84's kinda suck in my opinion. The functionality of that power amp is a dream! BUT, the tonal qualities are inferior to most other tube types I;ve come across. Let me know what you decide.

Back