power tube replacement.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusman75089

Reaction score
hey guys,

is it me or are mesa boogie power tubes on the 3 channel triple rectifer harsh. i have owned one for about 3 months now. i have found the good tones that they are known for. it seems like there is not enough chung when palm muting. i am running a jackson usa king v with emg 81 bridge and 85 neck. all i have in the loop is reverb and delay. i have tried od pedals of all kinds. i was wondering if the power tubes need to be changed out or maybe the rectifer tubes. i'm running stock tubes in the power and rectifer. the pre amp tubes are high gain in v 1,2,3.

power tubes mesa boogie 6L6 str 440

rectier tubes mesa boogie 5u4gb

can anyone help

rusman75089 said:
hey guys,

is it me or are mesa boogie power tubes on the 3 channel triple rectifer harsh. i have owned one for about 3 months now. i have found the good tones that they are known for. it seems like there is not enough chung when palm muting. i am running a jackson usa king v with emg 81 bridge and 85 neck. all i have in the loop is reverb and delay. i have tried od pedals of all kinds. i was wondering if the power tubes need to be changed out or maybe the rectifer tubes. i'm running stock tubes in the power and rectifer. the pre amp tubes are high gain in v 1,2,3.

power tubes mesa boogie 6L6 str 440

rectier tubes mesa boogie 5u4gb

can anyone help

Sorry brother but I don't think that your tubes are the culprit. Its your pickups. Although active and powerful, If you want a nice round chung kinda sound, there is no substitute for a hot set of passive pickups. I had a Jackson JDR 94 with the same pickup setup you're running and finally chucked it. Active pickups are good for a certain tone, but lack some dynamics in other areas. They are just to hot to be able to get that bounce. The only other thing I would try is rolling back a bit off your gain. Try output 10 oclock, master 11 oclock, presence 12 oclock, bass 9 oclock, mids, 10-12 oclock, treble 12-1 oclock, and gain 2-3 oclock. Then play with the treble and gain. Believe it or not sometimes less gain equals more chug.

Or to save yourself some money, switch the bridge and neck pickups. Adam D from Killswitch swears by an 85 in the bridge. HUGE chug potential. I hated the thin, wimpy sound of the 81. Try it!!!!!! And good luck.

what he^ said. if your usa king v is a kv2 with the maple neck/alder sides i`d switch you pickups around. however if its a kv2t mahogany/mahogany leave them alone and tweek something else

i moved the 85 and the 81 around. that really made a difference. messed with the amp a little bit more and found a pretty good tone with it now. thanks guys.

Back