Power filters?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipaudette

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in a house from the early 50s. My guitar amps have intermittent noise problems. It's a humming/buzzing noise that comes and goes depending upon the day and depending upon the time of day. I have two guitars (Strat and Les Paul) and two amps (a boogie and a fender, both tube). On a bad day, all permutations of amp/guitar will have the problem.

Things that I've noticed that get rid of the noise: When I unplug the guitar, the noise goes away. When I roll the volume down on the guitar, the noise goes away. When I touch the guitar cable, the noise goes a way.

So, my question is, is it likely a problem of radiated noise that is being picked up by the guitar? Or, is it more likely noisy power in my crappy old house?

If you think that it is noisy power, has anyone used power filtering products like those from Furman ($90 and higher) or from Eb-tech (HumX, $70). Did they solve your problem?

Man I'd like to get rid of this annoying, intermittent noise problem.

Thanks all,

Chip

sounds more to me like Noise your guitars are picking up. Power supply Noise should happen No Matter What is or isn't plugged into your amps. I think you will find there is a lot of electrical interference in your house, Eg when you hold your guitar up to a Light thats on. but the old wiring,switches and power points makes it worst.

Something like that.

Latest posts

Back