Power Attenuators

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyBar3

Reaction score
I just want to know everyone's opinions on these. I use a Tom Scholz Power Soak with my Mark III and am able to push the master more than I would normally be able to for bedroom jammage. I've heard that using these can be bad for the amps themselves though. Is there any truth to this? I know it will run my tubes down faster, because I'm actually driving them harder, but I'm okay with that.

As long as the attenuator is properly matched to the ohm rating of the amp and speakers, using one should not cause any problems. You will wear out the tubes at the same rate as you would if you were running the amp at full volume without an attenuator.

Using an attenuator is no harder on your amp than using a pair of speakers are.

The only reason they have a bad rap is because retards would dime their amp into them and blow the OT....which would've also happened unattenuated, except that they might've turned it down sooner once they felt the blood dripping from their ears.

I plan on getting a THD Hot Plate for my mark III, so I can get that sick saturated tube distortion with out my ears bleeding to death. One thing I like about the plates is that it has the bright and deep voiceing switches. That is a huge +.

What I cant figure out when I read post about attenuators is why?

Was'nt the whole point about Boogies from the begining the ability to play at lower volumes because of a highly developed preamp?

I admit I dont play at whisper volumes but how low are you guys going. I've never had a need to attenuate and I never had the cops show up at my door. My wife gets a little pissy from time to time.

Not trying to tick anyone off but maybe some of you would be better off with a lower wattage tube amp. Like less than 10 watts or maybe a decent SS amp for home. Besides what fun is playing a Boogie at super super low volume anyway.

There is a point when the preamp and power amp meet and accent each other. I personally do not need anything in the way to get to it. There are two natures of MK series amps. The first is high preamp volume and low master. It is sharper and may seem to have more gain as the power amp is not truly involved in more than basic amplification. The second is lower preamp and higher power amp volume. It is not as bright, but it has more natural bottom end and a rounder tone. It still shreds, but it sounds more natural than all preamp gain. If a power soak is needed, more power to you. I just think that they have an effect of the out put frequencies and that is why they need some type of compensation to the circuit to counter act the effect it has on the bass, treble or mid frequency. This is not to say that you cannot dial them out with your own tone controls. I am not as much a purist as I am a lazy basard. One more thing to pack up and lug.

I have a Mk IIC+ Simul and use it in Class A at home. The tone changes a bit but it would in Simul mode at a low volume as well. The Class A mode is a great feature for low volume playing and recording.

My two cents.

If I didn't use attentuators, in my case THD HotPlates, there is no way I could play my Boogies at home. A lot of my play time is after 9PM, when my daughter is asleep.

AMG1 said:
What I can't figure out when I read post about attenuators is why?

Was'nt the whole point about Boogies from the begining the ability to play at lower volumes because of a highly developed preamp?

Not trying to tick anyone off but maybe some of you would be better off with a lower wattage tube amp. Like less than 10 watts or maybe a decent SS amp for home. Besides what fun is playing a Boogie at super super low volume anyway.
I agree with the exception of solid state amp. Kinda like going from dish made from scratch to canned food.
I had a Altair Power Attenuator, I like pushing the power stage tube but power attenuators don't do it for me. Rather use a low power guitar amp instead.

Not to be anti- Boogie cause I love em but.....

I have an old Silvertone. Its for the most part a poormans tweed deluxe. Its got 2 6v6's tube recto and a killer trem circuit. You turn up the guitar volume and than start turning up the mic channel volume. The two interact. Anyway tone to the bone at pretty low volume. It puts out something like 10 - 12 watts. Although some may not believe I've also got a Crate Powerblock. Dont underestimate this little SS creature. You can also use it with headphones. I bought the Crate because it looked cute and I figuared I could send it back. Its my only SS amp and its way better than decent.

AMG1 said:

I have an old Silvertone. Its for the most part a poormans tweed deluxe. Its got 2 6v6's tube recto and a killer trem circuit. Anyway tone to the bone at pretty low volume. It puts out something like 10 - 12 watts.
That's just the nature of 6V6's they are low power tubes which allows you to push them and maintain lower volumes. If you put them in a Mk IV you'll hear that same great tone at much lower volume then with 6L6's or EL34's.
As for attenuators, I have tried several times to use my Hotplate but I just don't like what it does to my tone. I always end up removing it and adjusting the volume instead.

t0aj15 said:
AMG1 said:

I have an old Silvertone. Its for the most part a poormans tweed deluxe. Its got 2 6v6's tube recto and a killer trem circuit. Anyway tone to the bone at pretty low volume. It puts out something like 10 - 12 watts.
That's just the nature of 6V6's they are low power tubes which allows you to push them and maintain lower volumes. If you put them in a Mk IV you'll hear that same great tone at much lower volume then with 6L6's or EL34's.
As for attenuators, I have tried several times to use my Hotplate but I just don't like what it does to my tone. I always end up removing it and adjusting the volume instead.

Your so right about the 6V6's in a MKIV. When I first tried this I thought those tubes should have come standard. I through the Silvertone into the mix because even with 6v6's the MKIV might still be to loud for some. If the Silvertones to loud just pull the plug and put your guitar back in its case. :cry:

Latest posts

Back