Power attenuator with my DR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunknugget

Reaction score
I've heard many people say that to get the most out of your Recto, it should be CRANKED. I have set up great tones on my Roadster, but they change when I crank the amp. Has anyone ever tried a power attenuator with a Recto? Would it even do anything considering that the distortion comes from the preamp and not the power stage?

Yeah, I have one and it works, to a degree...
The more attenuation you use, the more it sucks tone; but you are able to get the kind of distortions you get when pushing the amp. To keep from using it too much, I pull two power tubes and one Recto tube from my DR TOV head when practicing, then use the attenuator to get down to volumes that house and neighbors can deal with. I use a Hot Plate, and it doesn't really produce what I would call bedroom levels without taking alot of the tone, but for band practice sessions it works well. It is even acceptable to use for smaller gigs, so that you don't blow the walls down on a small venue and still get the sound your looking for.

+1 on practice and small gigs.

i just finished playing this bar in brooklyn and had my hotplate at -4dB. still sounded fine. i have a copy of the show recording straight from the PA. it's not the greatest of mix (you're always at the mercy of the soundguy) but it can give you an idea of the tone the MESA was giving out with a hotplate.

i'll see if i can post the audio clip somewhere.

Back