Power and Ohms question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
On some amps when you drop the wattage in half, like going from 100 to 50watts, it is recomended to the lower ohm jack from your head out to your cab. For example, if it was straight 100 watts and you're using the 8ohm out to the cabs 8ohm. If you dropped from 100 wo 50 you would go 4ohm out to the cabs 8ohm.

Where do mesa's stand on this? Since you can dial in 50/100 on each channel on some of their amps, is it okay to just stay with the same imepedence the whole time? Because If you have 50watts on one channel, and 100 on the other, you would be switching back and forth so there must be something in the circuit to make it OK? The amps that can do this say you can switch them on the fly at any time during performance so I assumes it's okay, but just wanted to ask. :)

Thanks!

I have the LSC. Mesa says if you want to try a little "tonal change" to drop from the 8 ohm to the 4 ohm. This is strictly to change the sound. It has no affect on the amp. Doesn't help it, doesn't hurt it. I use 100w for the clean channel and 50w for the high gain channel and run the amp on tweed power. I'm running the speaker at 8 ohms. No problem. I prefer the sound of the 8 ohm over the 4 ohm. (just personal taste)

On the Dual Recto's when you drop the wattage by removing two power tubes and one rectifier tube, you also drop to the next lower ohm setting. If you were in 16 you would now need to be in 8....... If you were in 8 you would now need to be in 4, ect....

Thats where Boogie stands on that :wink:

Back