power amp question about my triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothing

Reaction score
i raelly like my tri but it doesn't deliver the thump my band needs so i have pretty much decided to get a DR, but i was wonding would stradegy 400 make the sound thicker. i currently have the 50/50 hi-lo and a recto cab.

thanks

Hummmmmmmm...I have a 295 Simul class amp and it barks
in the low end just fine w/ my Triaxis.
I dont really think a boost in wattage will increase the bottom but
lets keep this thread going and see what others think.
Instead of buying another poweramp,try a parametric eq. Ashly PQX572 lets you tailor frequencys more so than a straight graphic eq and
youu can adjust the gain (+ or -) on each plus each band can be "in or out"

I am not familiar with your equipment but I may be able to offer advice. First, some questions. Do you lack thump always? meaning no matter where you play, pre amp settings, gauge of strings, or pickups used? Everything plays a part in your tone and while more wattage is better for clean bass response it may not be a necessity in your case. Does your bass player drown you out? Are you bridging your power amp, running 1 channel to your 412, or running 50 watts a side to your 412? Are you the only guitar player in the band?

I put some 11-58's on a strat type guitar and it fattened it up so much that when I reverted back to regular 10's it felt like I had cut the bass on my amp all the way off. This was impossible because I was using an Epi Valve Jr head with only a volume knob. Maybe 11-58's are a bit extreme for some but it can definitely be a step in the right direction without adding, what I feel is, unnecessary power to a guitar rig. I don't even know why so many smaller bands want to go with such huge power amps.

Maybe you need a custom cab setup: 212 top and 215 bottom. That should definitely do it and Biamping is pretty cool IMO for getting the most out of the tonal spectrum.

sorry with the metal scene i have been reduced to going with the flow. my guitar player uses a 5150II through a marshall cab and his sound makes mine seem thin. i have a recto cab and i bridge my pwoer amp. i guess i am just trying to get a modern sound with something that has more of a vintage sound. it's one or the other type of situation. if i am to get another amp i have to part with my tri, so i was just seeing if there was another way.

oh well-
nothing

nothing said:
i currently have the 50/50 hi-lo and a recto cab, and i bridge my power amp. nothing
I also have the Mesa 50/50 and I'm not aware of any way it can be bridged. How do you accomplish this.

nothing said:
i raelly like my tri but it doesn't deliver the thump my band needs so i have pretty much decided to get a DR, but i was wonding would stradegy 400 make the sound thicker. i currently have the 50/50 hi-lo and a recto cab.

thanks

I never got my Triaxis to cut and be as BIG as a head. I tried 3 different times. I even tried mine thru heads (Diezel Herbert) No doing. Great tone though!

t0aj15 said:
nothing said:
i currently have the 50/50 hi-lo and a recto cab, and i bridge my power amp. nothing
I also have the Mesa 50/50 and I'm not aware of any way it can be bridged. How do you accomplish this.

sorry, i missed undeerstood what was said :oops:
i am going to try a couple of others things first before giving up.

I play a mark III in a metalcore band and I find my sound very thick
And I thought the heaviest channel on a triaxis is like a mark III so I find it very strange you think your sound is thin
I have to lower the bass on my amplifier because it sounds too huge
A good solution might be lowering your gain

i have a triaxis with a 20/20, I play a PRS custom 22 with 9's on it and it sounds pretty huge to me....however, my buddy has a triaxis with a 2:90 and plays a Jackson with 10's on it and he almost always runs the "deep" switch on his 2:90 and it **** near sounds like a bass amp at times. I love it sometimes and then others its way too bassy for my ears but he freaking loves all that bottom end. so my suggestion based on what I have personally heard is to add a 2:90 and add all the bass you want through that horse!

of course if you mean "thump" as something along the lines of more growl and bite as opposed to bottom end then simply add a great tube screamer on the front end and it will bring your tone alive. I recently purchased an ibanez ts808 and it's unbeleivable how much more I am able to get out of my tone using that thing on the front end.

I'd try out the 2:90 with deep switch to see if that solves your problems. It should, seeing as it was designed to complement the Triaxis.

Nothing-

For years I tried to make various preamps sound like heads. I found that it is in the very nature of hte preamp to sound like a preamp. This sounds odd but it is true. I could never quite get the organic nature of the sound that came from the heads I was trying to emulate. In order for me to get that sound I had to revert back to heads. I no longer play through a rack and really don't care to any more. Sure it would be nice to have some nice effects or something if I felt like coloring stuff up but to be honest I'd rather plug in and play raw especially where metal is concerned. Maybe slap on some chorus for some clean passages or add a little delay for some filling of gaps. I really don't miss the inability to give just a touch of a knob of the slightest degree. Sure some of the older analog design preamps had analog knobs but then again it was all about trying to get the rack amp not to sound so synthetic. The triaxis can be a great tool but I would never try to make it the only thing that is completely deriving my sound. That would be much like going the route of playing through the old ADA MP-1. Sure many folks did this and to some success but it really limits your sound. I saw the trend come and go back in the 80's and still see many people trying to accomplish this with the same gear or with better units such as the triaxis. If you want the sound of a head it is really a simple decision. Buy a head. I made it years ago. I am not looking back. Though the thought of the Recto Pre and 2:100 had me reconsidering until I came to my senses. I would just assume buy a good old 2 channel DR and be over it. This makes for having to have several amps around and possibly having to redial settings but for the tone you can't beat it. Being that you already have thoughts of just going out and getting the DR, do it. You won't be disappointed in the long run.

Russ is the Devil!!! j/k

Nothing:

Maybe what you are lacking is not with the pre but the power amp. I know a dude that is selling a 2:90 for a decent price if you want to mail him. Also, if you haven't done so already, retube your power amp. I was shocked the day I installed JJ6L6's in my old PV 5150. That thing went from blah to pretty good sounding, most notably in the low end. The JJ 6L6's have tons of bottom compared to chinese(mesa) or sovtek(again mesa). It will be well worth the $60 from Bob.

Have you tried rearranging the tubes in the TA with something else? You had mentioned Tung Sols but I don't recall if you said they were ever used. Maybe you should try running a different pre for a show or maybe plugging into the FX return of your bandmate's 5150 II.

i am going with
winged "c" 6l6s
possibly mesa 6l6s as well
i have 4 re issue tung-sols 12ax7
4 JJ 83's
4 chinese 9th gen 12ax7
1 50's tung-sol 12ax7
3 mesa 12 ax7 posssibly
so i am going to flip flop these. i bought all this gear used and i am probably just freaking out a bit. i do agree with russ that preamp will always sound like a pre but bands i have been impressed with the most usually use mesa and live they usually use a rack of some sort. at lower volumes i love this thing but, i will need a 2:90.

Latest posts

Back