Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Radical EQ settings will result in radical, artificial sounds. This is surprising?
The only transparent EQ is *no* EQ.
Guitar amps are, by definition, dirty, filthy, nasty EQ devices. Particularly in the midrange, where the human ear is most sensitive.
It's what gives electric guitar it's character.
Otherwise, we'd all just plug into the P.A. :D

not the same thing..at all..the GEQ is completely different than cranking a knob to 10...

Philhouse said:
Fronzil said:
why would any slider be all the way up or down...ever...

Why would any knob ever be turned to, say... 10 ?

EQ knobs are for the most part are passive controls, meaning that at 10, nothing is being attenuated and the full signal is passing through, anything below 10, that frequencie is being cut. The sliders on a GEQ are active controls, meaning that when they are all the way up the signal is being boosted, a LOT, when a frequency is boosted (or cut) that much, it will sound weird and unnatural.

Fronzil said:
not the same thing..at all..the GEQ is completely different than cranking a knob to 10...

this is sort of incorrect.

the sliders are potentiometers and they, like rotary pots, are not perfectly linear. The GEQ has finer control near the "zero" range of the sliders, and as they go all the way + or - the resistance values change faster. So all the way up seems more exaggerated because, well, it is.

phyrexia said:
Fronzil said:

this is sort of incorrect.

the sliders are potentiometers and they, like rotary pots, are not perfectly linear. The GEQ has finer control near the "zero" range of the sliders, and as they go all the way + or - the resistance values change faster. So all the way up seems more exaggerated because, well, it is.

I'm no engineer, I'm just using my ears..

I think you missed my point, I guess my comment was rather to say, people will always push or pull a slider or a knob or dial to it's limit even just to experiment, perhaps they like that sound it makes ?
Asking why would someone "ever" go all the way seemed extreme to me.
I understand the nature of passive and active controls, and the GEQ and pots have different Methods of affecting tone, however I couldnt grasp your absolute of why would the slider be ever full up or down.
Live and let live: eq and let eq. :D

Philhouse said:
I think you missed my point, I guess my comment was rather to say, people will always push or pull a slider or a knob or dial to it's limit even just to experiment, perhaps they like that sound it makes ?
Asking why would someone "ever" go all the way seemed extreme to me.
I understand the nature of passive and active controls, and the GEQ and pots have different Methods of affecting tone, however I couldnt grasp your absolute of why would the slider be ever full up or down.
Live and let live: eq and let eq. :D

doesn't seem to extreme to me based on my experience...I don't usually deal in absolutes if you notice most of my replies around here, but I play a III and IV every day..any slider maxed sounds horrible to me and anyone I do gear shootouts with..however on my roomates 81 JCM 800 2203 and 79 JMP 2204, I wouldn't hesitate to dime everything (if my hearing could take it)..kinda what I was getting at..anywho it doesn't really matter to me how he runs his amp, was just trying to give some input.

To me the cool aspect of the EQ is that it can be not used at all or used only on the distortion setting. This makes the normal EQ problems like hum, hiss, phase shift and general crapification of the signal reserved for the times when you have crapified the signal on purpose anyway.

It allows you to modify the crap signal with more crap until you get the flavor of crap you want. That is, as long as you like the Mesa flavor of crap generated by the mesa gain stage, as opposed to some outboard pedal's flavor of crap. I'm thinking that this an overly crappy post befitting the crappy weather in NEOhio today.

Crap out. :roll:

Back