Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koprofag said:
I'm toying with the idea of hooking up a Satellite with my Mark III for my stereo rotary effects, but there are some things I need to know.

What versions were made? 60W 6L6 and 85W Simul?

How important is it to match the power of the master amp?

On a Mark III, is the GEQ pre or post FX loop (i.e. would I need a GEQ on the Satellite not to throw the balance off)?

Would this generally be considered a better and cheaper solution than trying to find another identical Mark III if all I want is stereo compatibility?

Thanks.
They made both - the 60 watt Satellite and the 85 watt Simul-Satellite.
It may be significant that all the Sats are pentode, thus closer to green stripe Mark IIIs.
Matching the power exactly would be a subjective call - I don't have personal experience.
The Mark III GEQ is post-effects loop. By the way, the reverb is pre-loop. Yes, it is.
IIRC, the GEQ on the Satellite can be slaved to the host Mark.
I guess another complete Mark III would provide better redundancy. Just use the effects return.
On the other hand, a Satellite is half the cost.
On the third hand, the Sat will weigh almost as much. Same transformers.
Hope this helps :D

there was never a 2c+ satellite,
yes you can use el34's in the outside tubes
The satellite is a mark 3 without the preamp. Power section is exactly the same, they use a mark 3 circuit board just without the preamp components.

gts said:
JD said:
there was never a 2c+ satellite,
yes you can use el34's in the outside tubes
The satellite is a mark 3 without the preamp. Power section is exactly the same, they use a mark 3 circuit board just without the preamp components.
JD I always thought the Simul Sats were the power section of a Mk IV.

It is a stripped down version of the Mark 3 Green Stripe With a tweed Power setting so it would have the Mark 4 Power Tranny but if you open it up it is a mark 3 without the preamp components fitted.

MARK 3
Mark3Black3.jpg

SIMUL SAT
simulsat.jpg

Koprofag said:
Awesome, JD.

Am I correct assuming MkIII Direct cannot be routed back to the MkIII Return via outboard effects?

From the manual: "In some sophisticated set-ups, players run their Direct into their Effects Rack and then from the Effects into other, external amplifiers. But such a set-up cannot route the Effects output back into the original Boogie."

I'm arguing whether or not there's a way for me to have a "master" GEQ before my effects board rather than engaging the GEQ(s) after it, although I doubt I could hear the difference.
Like you quoted, you can't route the Direct to the Return of the same amp. It will feedback like hell.
If you use the internal reverb at all, it will always come before any effect put in the loop.
I think Mesa was assuming one would use an effects unit (and its reverb) between the host Mark III and the Satellite, and would not use the built-in reverb.
Yeah, now that I think of it, the GEQ "slave" function is a Mark FOUR feature, not the III. Oops.

Koprofag said:
Will there be any issues splitting/sending a stereo effect into MkIII Return and Satellite Return? On the MkIV both left and right outputs on the effects board go to the MkIV Returns where left is then sent off to the Satellite input. I'm guessing this is due to the remote GEQ feature, but they also mention a buffered signal which raises a flag here!

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first peek into the world of vintage stereo rigs. :lol:
There shouldn't be any issues.

Latest posts

Back