Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah a blown speaker sounds like....crackly, staticy, barely any sound.

you ran your bass....thru a guitar cab.....NOT cool.

my friends band just bought brand new powered Behringer PA system. right away, they go running a bass guitar through the board. :?

bass amps are made for a reason!!!

Restless Rocks said:
You have a really pissed off Rat inside the cab!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

my 5150 cab had to get ripped open. the way it is constructed....(not sure if all cabs are like this) there is a board going from front of cab to back....the screws were a little loose, and it was causing the board to vibrate against the back of the cab, creating a pretty noticeable sound on some palm mutes.

bryan_kilco said:

my friends band just bought brand new powered Behringer PA system. right away, they go running a bass guitar through the board. :?

Man you need to quit running your mouth.

An EV is a full range speaker and as such it can be used for bass/keyboard/guitar/PA applications. it can only take about 100w under 100hz and that is why they *can* blow when you use a bass. Also why you *can* blow a 12L in a 100w boogie or a Mark IV.

PA systems are full range too and that's why lots of bands run the bass into the mains. (why anyone would use behringer stuff is beyond me)

phyrexia said:
bryan_kilco said:

Man you need to quit running your mouth.

An EV is a full range speaker and as such it can be used for bass/keyboard/guitar/PA applications. it can only take about 100w under 100hz and that is why they *can* blow when you use a bass. Also why you *can* blow a 12L in a 100w boogie or a Mark IV.

PA systems are full range too and that's why lots of bands run the bass into the mains. (why anyone would use behringer stuff is beyond me)
I'm not trying to run my mouth or sound like an ******* or anything....but, come-on, it's just good practice to run your bass through a designated bass amplifier rather than an amp designed for guitar.

The times I've experienced someone play bass through a guitar amp, bad things happened.

As I said, the EV is a full range speaker and can be used for anything. It's not just a "guitar speaker". Likewise, there is nothing in a guitar amp's circuitry (speaker excluded) that could be damaged by running a bass through it, or a keyboard, or a guitar, or a TV, or an oscilliscope...

I used a Walkabout 300 with my EV/Thiele when I first got it, and had no problems. Then a month later some friends and I tried out a IIC+ Colisseum and it ended up being the speaker's last straw.

phyrexia said:
As I said, the EV is a full range speaker and can be used for anything. It's not just a "guitar speaker". Likewise, there is nothing in a guitar amp's circuitry (speaker excluded) that could be damaged by running a bass through it, or a keyboard, or a guitar, or a TV, or an oscilliscope...

I used a Walkabout 300 with my EV/Thiele when I first got it, and had no problems. Then a month later some friends and I tried out a IIC+ Colisseum and it ended up being the speaker's last straw.
ok, understood. i didnt know...he didnt state the type of speaker that blew in first post. You still won't catch me running a bass thru my Mesa.

still feel bad about that,Vic!
the coliseum in question was gigged many times by previous owner as his (drum roll......)bass head!!
according to boogiefiles, many used the coli as bass head

...not me!too badass-must be mated with Les Paul :twisted:

well he mentions 200w speaker numerous times, says he has a "thiele" and even has "EVM-12L Thiele" in his signature but I'm gonna back off you and chalk it up to noobness. :p

hey mike, at least it sounded awful nice when it went. Heh.

I've seen alot of blown speakers in my time when I worked as a sound systems engineer. Main symptom is normally a very very distorted sound, as if the amp is permanently clipping like crazy. Then there's crackling and loss of volume, and in alot of cases the speaker just dies completely. Hope this helps.

/Jonny

Koprofag said:
How long would you say the average speaker lasts and why not longer? I'm sure any speaker will live longer if less bass is used, because it seems to be the ultimate killer.

I have six 80's issue EVM 12L's. My first one is from 82 I think the first year of production for the series II. The one with the big heat sink over the magnet. It is still the sweetest sounding of all them. Of course I've never played a colliseum thru it and I'm a bit fanatical about never leaving my equipment out in the car in extremes of heat or cold. I think they just keep getting better. By the way I also have some EVM 15B's which are much better suited for umm... bass.

phyrexia said:
well he mentions 200w speaker numerous times, says he has a "thiele" and even has "EVM-12L Thiele" in his signature but I'm gonna back off you and chalk it up to noobness. :p

hey mike, at least it sounded awful nice when it went. Heh.
yeah, i am a noob here! :lol: I really dont know a lot about amps, but im trying to learn. this forum...is crazy....too many Mark I II II IV threads and sigs and avatars with Mark I II II IV....and....ugh....this board is like the son I never had.... :lol: :oops:

Latest posts

Back