Poor reverb on a DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setzer

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would have any idea why the reverb on my DC-5 is virtually non-existant?

If I have the reverb flat out on either channel it is barely audible at all,I mean REALLY barely audible.

I have checked the leads from the tank going into the head and they are in perfect order and correctly located.

I have never had the actual tank out as I didnt think that when I got it out I would know what to look for anyway plus I dont know how its held into the cabinet.

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance..........

maybe you need a new tube on your V5(reverb send/return)?

Assuming your tank's OK, then you might try replacing the reverb driver in V5. The reverb on my DC-5 is OK but certainly not spectacular.

I had a go at swapping the V5 tube to see if it cured the missing reverb but no dice.

Anybody have any idea about anything that can go wrong with the spring itself?

I've got a reverb tank sitting here I bought for my F-30 before I decided to sell it. Pull that tank and see what part number is on it. If it matches mine then i'll let you have mine for like $20 shipped. It's just sitting here... :)

I have a feeling that your reverb is functioning as it did when it left the factory. The only way I can really hear mine is if I lower the gain. Even then, it's very subtle. It functions more like a tone control when playing live. If my high end is too harsh, I can put the reverb on about 3 and it will smooth out my tone.Until I can get enough scratch together for a decent reverb unit, I just use delay. The amp reverb is useless as an effect. I used to have an Intellifex, but it started acting a little strange, so I traded it in on a DD-20.

One of the problems I had when using my reverb on my DC-5 and Lonestar for that matter, was what my expectations were way too high. I was trying to compare their reverbs to my Twin Reverb. Well, they don't compare and now that's understandable to me. Mesa's are known as great tone/gain machines and that they are in spades. The reverb is acceptable on my DC and I use it for a fuller sound, not for a reverb effect. I have some great rack reverbs and a few pedals if I really need a Fenderist reverb sound.

Thats a very kind offer MusicMan,I will pull out the tank tomorrow and have a look for the part number if I can figure how to get the reverb out of the amp.

I had a good experiment with the amp earlier and there seems to be no reverb at all or at least that little that I cant make it out clearly.

I tried a tube that only had a few hours use on it,it was a spare I had to buy one time in an emergency and is a little known make but still the same thing-no reverb at all.

I was thinking today if the amp had ever had a bad fall or anything and I remembered one time I tripped over a guitar case carrying the amp and it had a bit of a fall,would the amp getting a knock do anything to the reverb tank? I have never had one apart so I dont even know what is really in one to judge if there is anything breakable in one.

I will try and see if I can see anything wrong with it tomorrow when I get the tank out to get the serial number off it.

When I bought my DC-5 head (used) the reverb wasn't functioning at all. I just took out the reverb tank and opened it up and there was either a loose spring loose or a broken solder joint (I can't really remember correctly because it was 8 years ago). I fixed it and it worked again. Try opening up the tank (which is hard work, as it is glued together) if it's not working at all; you can't really do any harm to it anyway.

Got a spare reverb tank here, if you need it. Came out of a MKIV head cab, IIRC, so don't know if it's the same. Let me know if you're interested. :)

Edward

I pulled the tank today to check the serial number and to see if there was anything obvious wrong that I could fix.

Once I got a look at the tank there was a broken wire that was easily fixed.Put the tank back in the amp and now have reverb at last :D

Thanks guys for all the help especially MusicMan and Edward for your kind offers,really really appreciated.

Great forum,glad I came across it........eventually!

Excellent! I love it when the solutions come easy ...and free is cake! :)

Edward

Back