? Pondering the purchase of a Road King head ? Overkill...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennq45

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a Road King II head and was thinking about the old saying "Keep it simple stupid" which I always thought of as a golden rule. All those settings, tube choices, recitifier choices ect. seems really like overkill. A question to all of you RK owners... Is it overkill or just.... ("I have died and gone to tone heaven")...

It probably is overkill but think of all the fun you'll have with it, and the endless hours tweaking it :)

Ciao ...

dennq45 said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a Road King II head and was thinking about the old saying "Keep it simple stupid" which I always thought of as a golden rule. All those settings, tube choices, recitifier choices ect. seems really like overkill. A question to all of you RK owners... Is it overkill or just.... ("I have died and gone to tone heaven")...

Once you select all your choices per channel you are set . It looks much more daunting than it actually is .

I'd find myself tweaking way too much.....too many varialbes in the tone. I wanna play :twisted:

I certainly don't think that it is overkill. It's like having several amps in one. It's extremely versatile -- the ability to assign tunes to specific channels is an amazing feature.

Barry said:
Once you select all your choices per channel you are set . It looks much more daunting than it actually is .

I agree. Once i had everything chosen and set up, it was ON. I don't change anything on the back that often at all. I may tweak tone, gain, volume, etc...but you do that on even the simplest amps. After it's set, I just look at it like it's 4 amps sitting there in the same cabinet. I adjust what's needed for each tone, and that's it.

RB

I play too many different styles of music to have just one amp. So instead of buying a:

Dual Recto Head $1700
FenderHot Rod DeVille 212 $750
Marshall JCM800 Head $2000
Lonestar Head $1600

Why spend $6050 when you can spend $2500 + a Cab :p

I'll admit the Road King isn't quite an exact match to the fender or marshall (the marshall might be a far stretch) but you can get pretty darn close!

If I had the money at the time I wouldn't hestitate to get the Road King instead of the Roadster I bought. Still I'm very happy with my purchase.

Ciao ...

If you don't have the use need for for the EL34's, get a ROADSTER. I am not a fan of the EL34's, so I got my Roadster and saved $600. Glad I did. The Roadster is absolutely beautiful

I almost got a Roadster but decided to have the option to simply switch into different tube configs. I got the Road King II. I have it set for 4 different tube configs. Can't beat that.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
If you don't have the use need for for the EL34's, get a ROADSTER. I am not a fan of the EL34's, so I got my Roadster and saved $600. Glad I did. The Roadster is absolutely beautiful

Remember you can use EL34s with Roadster as well...just can't use them at the same time as 6L6s like you can with Road King...

Back