Played a show with my EL34 equiped Roadster last night......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
NOW, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!!

It still had the "recto" growl that I didn't want to loose, but it also has this top-end focus that you can't get with 6L6's. It's hard to explain, but when you hit a full "G" chord, it's almost like there are layers of tones and you can hear each string instead of just a "G" chord.

I spent quite a bit of time the last couple of weeks at a local Boogie dealer playing on an Ace, and the tone I was getting from my Roadster last night were like if you crossed a Dual Rectifier with an Stiletto Ace. It had the recto growl with the Ace bite..... And the Cleans were less "Dark" sounding than it normally is with 6L6's and it had a nice chime, but not as much mid-range as an AC30 (great contrast of tones between the two amps). And of course the "Brit" mode sounded more like a Marshall than most modern Marshalls sound, but even with the gain on 100% it could still use a little more gain, but a boost pedal works wonders in that channel (distortion and clean boost).

I think the EL34's are a keeper, at least for a while..... Maybe I'll get a chance to record some clips someday.

And all this tone through a PINK guitar........ :shock:

This is really making me gas to try out EL-34s again....something other than JJ....

What are you using? The SED =C= seem to be popular lately.

im using a 2 channel dual rec w/ el34's & im digging the hell out of it. el34's are fantastic.

Great to hear your happy tele_jas...(hopefully it's not short-term)!

Just curious if you have tried the EL34L's or just the EL34's?

When I buy another dual rec some day, I'll run it in EL34 mode.. glad you're digging it TJ!

I don't know why you dont just get the ACE-the recto sound is tiring and realy going out of style. The Ace has perfect cleans and grand, brilliant gain. I ditched my Roadster and have'nt missed it for a second.

Stash...Tele_J plays a number of different styles and my guess is that the Ace would not be as verastile as the Roadster. The Ace cleans seemingly don't compare to the traditional Mesa 6L6 powerhouses like the Roadster or Lonestar. Or you could be like me a just happen to like the Recto sound better than the Ace sound :)

stash49 said:
I don't know why you dont just get the ACE-the recto sound is tiring and realy going out of style. The Ace has perfect cleans and grand, brilliant gain. I ditched my Roadster and have'nt missed it for a second.

True that. I play in a southern rock and country band and a modern hard rock band. I had a Roadster for while-and I don't miss it now that I have the ACE for small shows and Trident w/4x12 for big ones-I can find a sound for any song with the steletto-it's a matter of taste and style. Happiness is an elusive treasure-I shouldn't over analyze it.

tele_jas said:
I think the EL34's are a keeper

TJ, Yepper, the EL34's are pretty addictive. I'm running 2 EL34's and 2 EL84's (Yellow Jackets in the 6L6 sockets) on my RKI. Absolutely amazing, tones out the wazoo..............

Channel 4 with EL34s on my RKII just roars. I honestly think EL34s have much better breakup tone than 6L6s. I still like 6L6s for cleans.

I guess different strokes for different folks.... I'd like to have an ACE someday in addition to my Roadster, but not in place of it. Sometimes what we like and what is practical are two different things, and I'm to a point now where I need an amp that I can roll in, plug in and have 4 really good sounding channels ready to go. I'm also a reverb-aholic, I absolutely have to have reverb..... I don't use that much, but I grew up with Fenders since I was born and that spring reverb gets kind of "bred" in to you. So I really don't want to have to bring an extra pedal or FX unit just for reverb.

There's TJ making me want to get a set of EL34's all over again :lol: I might just do that as I can always switch between them as I please.

Ciao ...

tele_jas said:
I'm also a reverb-aholic, I absolutely have to have reverb..... I don't use that much, but I grew up with Fenders since I was born and that spring reverb gets kind of "bred" in to you. So I really don't want to have to bring an extra pedal or FX unit just for reverb.

Man I am the same way.
My local music store let me take home a Fender reverb unit. Putting it infront of my ace sounded really bad.

Through the loop it sounded killer, but as always for me, the loop doesn't work, to me, it seems to sacrifice that edge or urgency of tone that straight in and straight through gives you. Effects loop = tone condom. :?

So I tried a Boss RV-5 in front of the Ace, something about the top end of this amp, it's a beast on pedals. At low volumes it's OK, but at volume there is a left over buzz in there.

Although I will stick up for the versatility of the Ace, perhaps not a crystal clear clean, but a good one. I'm using it for a Robben Ford type of Blues/Rock/Jazz and it is VERY touch sensitive and articulate. Like playing a reed instrument, I can almost talk through this thing.

To so this I've got to cut the treble almost to 9:00 with my 58 LP RI.

Anyway, got me thinking...

- jj

Latest posts

Back