PICTURES! Can you help identify?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronl

Reaction score
Here is some inside pictures of my 50 Caliber +

I was wondering if I could get some help identifying names, or anything!

Thanks!!

Still do not know if i should use 5 12AX7 or 4 12AX7, 1 12AT7 like a standard 50 Caliber +, Mesa wasn't much help :(

Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

hard to read but board says 86
5.jpg

hard to read but board says 86
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Any names or anything look familiar?

THANKS!
Aaron

Did you call Mesa @ the tubes? You have a rare bird there, a + with EL84s. I would think to try an AT in V4, and see how the reverb sounds, and then swap a AX and listen again. According to The Tube Amp Book, by the guy who runs Groove Tubes, the AT7 will last longer.

That is the question to be answered here....
At mesa they really didnt know :(
But I have more info now so maybe they can help more!

With the board being dated 1986, I bet this was a Caliber that they made into a Caliber +

I was hoping someone would recognize some names!

I am real interested in the S one that is visible on the chasis in the bottom picture, that is written kinda big!

Thanks again!

Anyone else???

The chassi looks like it has seen some miles. ;p Can you post a screen of the combo? Just interested in seeing it all together. Thx. I love those old 50 Cals.

What's all that "stuff" all over the power supply filter caps...looks like splattered mud!

The power tube sockets run hot, as is shown by the discoloration around the sockets on the PCB

RussB said:
What's all that "stuff" all over the power supply filter caps...looks like splattered mud!

The power tube sockets run hot, as is shown by the discoloration around the sockets on the PCB

think the stuff is just rust....

yeah i have had experience with el84s running hot in every amp i tried em in...

i may contact mesa and find out how to get it all clean and purty again!

Without getting too deep, "Rust" is oxidized steel (like on the chassis in this case) It's weird that it's all over the caps!

The 1986 date on the board is the copyright date of the circuit, not the date of manufacture.

Correct. Your amp was put together in August 1988 (8-88 )

Just for comparison, here's some pics of my 50 Cal+

A few notable differences,

- 6L6's mounted directly to the chassis
- the PCB is mounted "right-side up
- the reverb tank "guts" are mounted INSIDE the chassis to the back where the vents are...talk about being cheap-assed bastards!

50cal002.jpg

50cal003.jpg

I do think the amp has been rode hard ;)
I also think at some point there may have been some type of soda or something in there :(
The NICE thing is that it sounds GREAT i like this amp a ton so i dont think it was hurt just USED HARD!

I wish my tubes were connected to the chasis like that :(

But all in all I love AMP!

aaronl said:
I do think the amp has been rode hard ;)
I also think at some point there may have been some type of soda or something in there :(
The NICE thing is that it sounds GREAT i like this amp a ton so i dont think it was hurt just USED HARD!

I wish my tubes were connected to the chasis like that :(

But all in all I love AMP!

Glad you like it. I'm trying to make mine be "not so dark". I think V1 might be suspect.

Latest posts

Back