Pickups with Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
Can anyone guide me to some threads or info on pickups that work well with a Roadster. I play rock/hard rock music.
I just had an EMG 81tw and 60 installed on my Jackson. So far, I'm not liking it much. They sound a bit sterile and metallic (if that makes sense) Maybe I just need to get used to or get rid of them.
I have read very good reviews on the Tremonti pickups.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

hello
I play guitars with emg 85s and with caparison pickups PH-R,PH-Fs and it sounds very good. emg 81s are a bit too sterile for my taste but they sounds also good with the roadster head. Roadster is a very good amp and almost every pickup sounds good with it. I play hard rock, metal,,deathmetal type of music

jhguitar1 said:
Can anyone guide me to some threads or info on pickups that work well with a Roadster. I play rock/hard rock music.
I just had an EMG 81tw and 60 installed on my Jackson. So far, I'm not liking it much. They sound a bit sterile and metallic (if that makes sense) Maybe I just need to get used to or get rid of them.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I had a lp with emg 81 and 60 and I had the same problem. It just did metal awesome...nothing else. Then I moved to a gibson with 490R and 498T alnico magnet humbucker pickups and the roadster came to life. For your style passive high output pickups would be great. I have a fernandes with sd JB and that sounds awesome with the roadster. I would recommend:

sd JB, tremonti bridge, or the gibson 498T

vertigo_ said:
jhguitar1 said:
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I had a lp with emg 81 and 60 and I had the same problem. It just did metal awesome...nothing else. Then I moved to a gibson with 490R and 498T alnico magnet humbucker pickups and the roadster came to life. For your style passive high output pickups would be great. I have a fernandes with sd JB and that sounds awesome with the roadster. I would recommend:

sd JB, tremonti bridge, or the gibson 498T
I use a sd JB in my bridge and it's a good pickup. Though I believe it's a little too bright in the high's for me and it may be adding a bit of crunch (reducing some of the smoothness that the Gibson pickup had) that I'm starting to not like. I may be going back soon.

I think I got so used to the Gibson guitar being so inherently flawed that I just got used to fixing things and changing things. The stock Gibson pickups are really excellent pickups and sometimes I forget that...

Oh, and I've never used an EMG before but one of my friend plays metal and he SWEARS by them.

I have an ESP MII that has a 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. I also have an LP with SD JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Both are "cookie cutter" set ups but they both add a great range of tone.

Demoncleaner said:
I have an ESP MII that has a 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. I also have an LP with SD JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Both are "cookie cutter" set ups but they both add a great range of tone.

I agree

Back