Pickups for Ibanez- Les Paul style

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
One of my best friends died over the holidays. His family gave me one of his guitars. It is an Ibanez that has the looks of a Les Paul. He used to tell me that Gibson sued Ibanez over this guitar. I don't know if that's true or not.
Anyways, I am looking to change to pickups in it. There are 3 humbuckers on it. I need suggestions on what to put in it. Examples of bands we are covering are: Gavin DeGraw, Spin Doctors, The Killers, Greenday, Billy Idol, etc.....you get the idea.
I would appreciate suggestions on what pickups to use. I have always been a hard rock guy so this is kinda of new territory for me, lol. Also, I play out of a Roadster head.
Thanks

Bill Lawrence L500 pickups are the clearest and most versatile pickups, not to mention high output. And they are not expensive either. "Once you go chrome you'll never roam"

www.billlawrence.com

dmt said:
Bill Lawrence L500 pickups are the clearest and most versatile pickups, not to mention high output. And they are not expensive either. "Once you go chrome you'll never roam"

http://www.billlawrence.com

You can't really toss out a blanket statement like that about Bill Lawrence pickups without adding 'in my opinion'.

I have tried most of the BL line and, in my opinion, they are mediocre.

The pickups I choose don't have to necessarily be high output. I'm not going to be playing any metal or real hard rock. I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!!

Rocky said:
dmt said:

You can't really toss out a blanket statement like that about Bill Lawrence pickups without adding 'in my opinion'.

I am curious as to what specifically you find mediocre about them and what you are comparing them to. Personally I prefer them to any Duncan that I have played as well as Gibson Les Paul pickups. Just curious why you find them lacking. I suppose that i should have added in my opinion, but i thought that was obvious.

dmt said:
Rocky said:
dmt said:

I am curious as to what specifically you find mediocre about them and what you are comparing them to. Personally I prefer them to any Duncan that I have played as well as Gibson Les Paul pickups. Just curious why you find them lacking. I suppose that i should have added in my opinion, but i thought that was obvious.

I would put them above your average duncan myself...Duncan's custom shop stuff is superior to BL in my opinion. Actually Duncan Custom stuff is world class.

Compared with high end stuff like WCR or even Suhr and Anderson pickups they dont have the clarity or complexity.

WCR and Suhr pickups are the clearest pickups I have ever heard. Nothing I have tried comes close.

I'd never say BL pickups arent great products, they are great pickups and I can see why so many people love them.

Latest posts

Back