Pickup recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douchehound

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody out there can give me some recommendations on some pickups. I recently bought a PRS Singlecut SE (Korean) and really love the way its feels but just looking for it to have more bite. Any thoughts or ideas is appreiciated!
Dave

Im looking for a hard rock sound. Im currently using a 50 watt Recto-verb head with a Mesa 4x12 cab and usually play with a standard SG.

Seymour Duncan Custom Custom and Custom 5 will work. Great pups.

Another choice is the infamous jazz and JB combo, but the JB seems to be a bit trebely , but the low end on the amp should take care of it

allstar1234 said:
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom and Custom 5 will work. Great pups.

Another choice is the infamous jazz and JB combo, but the JB seems to be a bit trebely , but the low end on the amp should take care of it

...Use a 250k pot instead of a 500k pot...This evens things out for the JB...I had the same problem.

If you want bite to the sound go with EMG 81/85 pickups they sound awesome in a PRS or anything with a really resonant body, not to mention to my ears they sound more alive and the distorsion is more off the deep end because they are active and sending a hotter signal to the amp.

jr3d said:
If you want bite to the sound go with EMG 81/85 pickups they sound awesome in a PRS or anything with a really resonant body, not to mention to my ears they sound more alive and the distorsion is more off the deep end because they are active and sending a hotter signal to the amp.

+1 dual 81's work great in my Mahogany body EXP, but I'm probably going to be switching out the neck 81 for a 60, they have a little better clean sound to me.

-AJH

I have been enjoying the Custom 5 in the bridge and a Alnico II in the bridge of my all Mohagany Ibanez SZ320 so much, I ordered the same set up for my RG2550EGK. It is sweet with my MKIV set up.

I have that same guitar and here is what I put in it:

DiMarzio Air Norton in the Bridge

DiMarzio PAF 5 in the Neck.

This setup gave the bridge setting a noticable increase in bass response for clean tones and gave the neck setting more nuts when using crunch/high gain settings.

douchehound said:
Im looking for a hard rock sound. Im currently using a 50 watt Recto-verb head with a Mesa 4x12 cab and usually play with a standard SG.

Seymour Custom 5 (bridge) Dimarzio Tone Zone (neck). For that guitar this is the formula.

Back