pickup ideas for les paul custom?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swivs

Reaction score
hey board any one got any suggestions on pickups for les paul custom, i play hard rock, metal, alternative. im thinking of putting a seymore duncan jb/jazz combo in one and burstbucker pros in the other. i do want slightly different tone in each. and one will be detuned most of the time, but not always. i play through a mesa roadster. so any clips you guys have with these pu in ur les pauls or any that you would recomend im listening, i dont want to sacrifice my clean tone either, so no emg answers lol,

Bill Lawrence 500R for they rythm, and a 500L or XL for the Bridge. They extremely clean pickups, and a awesome for distortion as well. The 500R is by far my favorite Rythm pickup, it is warm but not muddy, articulate but not shrill...

The 500XL is very aggressive, but is easily tamable. The old man knows how to make em! And for the price there is no pickup better.

ya those bill L pickups are awesome.....sd JB works pretty well in the bridge. And EMG60 is one of best pickups I have heard on lp(neck position) - awesome cleans!

The 2 nicest pickups I have ever used in Les Pauls are:

1. Suhr Doug Aldrich set. For rock and metal they are amazing. Loud, powerful, CLEAR and defined.

2. Lindy Fralin Unbuckers. Lower-medium output pickups. Unbalanced coils give a sparkle and punch that is gorgeous. They are INCREDIBLY responsive and detailed.

A hundred people will give you a hundred choices with this one.

Here's my suggestion - Fralin High Output humbuckers. Loud and clear!

I just put an EMG 58 in the Bridge of my Les Paul, it sounds like a PAF with more gain

I have a 500t in the bridge of my flying V and love it. Very hot. Only thing hotter is the Dirty Fingers PUP and I haven't tried one yet.

does anyone have sound clips of thier les paul with the bill lawrences, or any of the others pups you guys recommend

Bare Knuckle pickups are suppose to be good:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

swivs said:
hey board any one got any suggestions on pickups for les paul custom, i play hard rock, metal, alternative. im thinking of putting a seymore duncan jb/jazz combo in one and burstbucker pros in the other. i do want slightly different tone in each. and one will be detuned most of the time, but not always. i play through a mesa roadster. so any clips you guys have with these pu in ur les pauls or any that you would recomend im listening, i dont want to sacrifice my clean tone either, so no emg answers lol,

Do you not like the pickups in your custom? What year is it?

I couldnt imagine changing mine out, I like them alot.

Forget about my earlier response, I just noticed you said custom. I wouldn't change the pickups in a Les Paul Custom. I really wouldn't put a JB in there, the stock Gibson pickups in a Custom sound better to me than any after market pickup.

I just put a Rio Grande Texas/BBQ set in my home built which is a very thick slab of mahogany and a 5/8" thick maple cap. These are my new favorite pups. They rock and sustain longer than anything I ever played. My buddy has a guitar with a JB and a Jazz and they are nice as well, but I cant praise the rio's enough.

Back