physically changing preamp tubes on a TR..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

Reaction score
so i bought a Tung-Sol 12ax7 preamp tube to try in the V1 spot on my triple recto and i'm wondering how to change it exactly? i've changed my power and recto tubes before but i know there are those silver casings around the tubes.

so, would i have to unscrew the metal bar in the back, pull a few power tubes (in order to have room to reach the preamp tubes), then what? do those silver cases twist off or what? thanks!

Remove the bar that protects the tubes and then pull straight out on the power tubes but mark them first so that they go back in the same spot. Give the metal pre-amp sleeves a quarter turn and the springs in them will make the sleeves pop right off. V1 is closest to the guitar input .

dennq45 said:
Remove the bar that protects the tubes and then pull straight out on the power tubes but mark them first so that they go back in the same spot. Give the metal pre-amp sleeves a quarter turn and the springs in them will make the sleeves pop right off. V1 is closest to the guitar input .

Yep, he's got it.

They're a noise shield, as well, but mostly they protect the tubes, IIRC.

The only one you really need in on V1. Many moons ago in the sixties and seventies (I am now showing my age), we used to get rid of the pre-amp tube covers. Just toss them. The same thing we used to do with the pick-up covers on our humbuckers on our Les Pauls. Geeze, ever try to buy one of those on FleaBay...

Latest posts

Back