Petrucci using Mark IVB on latest DT album...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntg

Reaction score
...plus a lonestar and and of course the rock of ages, i.e. IIC+

Just thought these were cool pics - I also find it interesting that there are no condensers on the cabinet, also very cool! get that tone with just a 57 and 421 (and neve pre's and ssl boards, etc, etc 8^).

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

edit: whoops, may have put this in the wrong forum, sorry :oops:

Yup, he recently said this too:

I’m actually very simple in the studio as far as recording goes. I just like the way the sound of a head sounds through a cabinet, so to me that is the ultimate way to record. There are no fancy rigs going on. And I though also have some of my favorite heads with me, depending on what I’m doing, I always will use Mesa Boogie heads which I’ve used for as long as I can remember. On the most recent album and the present one we’re working on, I’ve been using the Mark series of amps, the old Mark IIs which I’ve used for a long time. The sound of which goes back to Metallica circa Master Of Puppets, it’s like the Hetfield sound. I also use a Mark IV which is what I’m using on the G3 shows. All of those go through a Boogie cab that is miked and that is the sound. It’s just pure and I usually double track so it’s nice and wide. As for guitars, I’m using my signature Music Man guitars. On the present album once again, I have the new version of my guitar that we just completed and of which we’re working on prototyping. I’ve been with Ernie Ball for like six years now and I needed some subtle changes to the guitar. I’m using that in the studio as well as live on G3. The only different thing on the G3 tour is that my sound integrates effects. I use TC Electronics for the most part, especially a TC Electronic 2290 and a TC Electronic M3000. And in order to control all that stuff I started using a pedal board by Axess Electronics which is a Canadian company that makes really cool switching things and loops and stuff.

4nkam said:
Yup, he recently said this too:

I’m actually very simple in the studio as far as recording goes. I just like the way the sound of a head sounds through a cabinet, so to me that is the ultimate way to record. There are no fancy rigs going on. And I though also have some of my favorite heads with me, depending on what I’m doing, I always will use Mesa Boogie heads which I’ve used for as long as I can remember. On the most recent album and the present one we’re working on, I’ve been using the Mark series of amps, the old Mark IIs which I’ve used for a long time. The sound of which goes back to Metallica circa Master Of Puppets, it’s like the Hetfield sound. I also use a Mark IV which is what I’m using on the G3 shows. All of those go through a Boogie cab that is miked and that is the sound. It’s just pure and I usually double track so it’s nice and wide. As for guitars, I’m using my signature Music Man guitars. On the present album once again, I have the new version of my guitar that we just completed and of which we’re working on prototyping. I’ve been with Ernie Ball for like six years now and I needed some subtle changes to the guitar. I’m using that in the studio as well as live on G3. The only different thing on the G3 tour is that my sound integrates effects. I use TC Electronics for the most part, especially a TC Electronic 2290 and a TC Electronic M3000. And in order to control all that stuff I started using a pedal board by Axess Electronics which is a Canadian company that makes really cool switching things and loops and stuff.

I thought on Octavarium, he used the Roadking. Does anybody know what he used on that album. The Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack definitely sound like the Road King. Got any ideas Monty?

-Phil

ntg said:
...plus a lonestar and and of course the rock of ages, i.e. IIC+

Just thought these were cool pics - I also find it interesting that there are no condensers on the cabinet, also very cool! get that tone with just a 57 and 421 (and neve pre's and ssl boards, etc, etc 8^).

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

edit: whoops, may have put this in the wrong forum, sorry :oops:
it would be cool to hear a "fully-markish-sounding" album after I&W! can't wait to hear it if it's true

[/quote]
it would be cool to hear a "fully-markish-sounding" album after I&W! can't wait to hear it if it's true[/quote]

Totaly agree !!!

I thought on Octavarium, he used the Roadking. Does anybody know what he used on that album. The Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack definitely sound like the Road King. Got any ideas Monty?

-Phil

Yes, he did use a Roadking for Octavarium also. You can go to johnpetrucci.com, and click on Amps/Effects link and then looks for TOT rig pics.

Sorry, this may have been asked before but if so, I can't find it. Does anyone know if Petrucci has disclosed some of the settings he's used on those amps? I just bought a Mark IV combo and LOVE it!

In this one video, I can't remember which one, but Petrucci has his Mark IIC+ settings written down on a piece of paper and he flashes it in front of the camera real quick. He was kidding around about how people are pretty into getting his tone. It's pretty funny. I'm sure if you paid close enough attention you could get the settings though, lol. :D

http://www.axess-electronics.com/ - Lotta good ideas in the Clients section for pedalboards! ;)

groovetuber said:
In this one video, I can't remember which one, but Petrucci has his Mark IIC+ settings written down on a piece of paper and he flashes it in front of the camera real quick. He was kidding around about how people are pretty into getting his tone. It's pretty funny. I'm sure if you paid close enough attention you could get the settings though, lol. :D

Yeah, I've seen that. That video's on youtube.com. If you type in dream theater studio visit it should come up, its either studio visit 1 or 2. You can probably pause the video and look at his drawing of the graphic eq, but I doubt you'd be able to make out the settings. LOL.

-Phil

I think that is from the 5 Years in a Live Time video...

Back