pentode or triode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
could someone explain the physical and tonal differeces between pentode and triode.what do you guys prefer?

This switch only effects the outer two tubes.

Pentode = more power and punch
Triode = less power and more singing sustain at the cost of some headroom.

You know i've never actually flipped that switch.

Is it really worth a shot? Any issues i should be aware of in the different modes, ie tube life etc?

Gaz :D

It seems to make the amp punchier in pentode and sings in triode.

Pentode = harder on the tubes
Triode = easier on the tubes
Full power = harder on the tubes
Tweed = easier on the tubes
Harmonics/Mid Gain = doesn't matter
Simulclass = 4 tubes working
Class A = 2 tubes working
This message = I need sleep after gig + drinking 10 beeRz

seriously read the manual about this
great explanation

basically
with tweed power and tridode you will get the most poweramp distortion

triode means the grid, anode and cathode are acting
pentode - im not too sure, i guess another 2 things inside the tube come into play

I feel like pentode has a little faster, or harder, or more immediate attack. I notice more definition on the front end of the note.

Tridode can be softer, probably what I would describe as a bluesier feel both clean and with distortion.

Both good, go with what you like.

Each will take different preamp settings for optimal enjoyment though. So just switching back and forth may get you a general idea of some of the characteristics of each, playing around with the treble, and volume of each channel will show you how they react differently. Just an example of this, hitting triode with the treble around 8-9 on Rhy1 and turning the volume up on that channel will get you a little grind with the clean. Pick the note harder and you'll notice this more, back off and there won't be as much.

rippingrudy said:
Pentode = harder on the tubes
Triode = easier on the tubes
Full power = harder on the tubes
Tweed = easier on the tubes
Harmonics/Mid Gain = doesn't matter
Simulclass = 4 tubes working
Class A = 2 tubes working
This message = I need sleep after gig + drinking 10 beeRz

no offense bro, but as a musician, and an aspiring pro, I might have to kick my own *** for drinking 10 beers at a gig. when I gig I get like 1, maybe 2 shots before I go on to loosen me up a bit, and i'm done for the night. I dunno maybe I'm old fashioned.....

It wasn't really 10 - I usually drink a 6 pack at a gig... Maybe a shot or two mixed in.

Then again, I also drink 2 liters of water and am 6'2 @ 225 lbs.

You are not old fashioned, just a pussy. :D

This thread inspiried me to try the midgain instead of harmonics.. works great for high gain clarity in metal riffs for sure.

I think that harmonics definetly sounds better when playing louder..i use midgain for lower volumes..

That's exactly what it says in the manual - High volume = harmonics. It says the Mid-gain is best utilized with lower lead drive settings.

Back