Pennywise Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SickBoy87

Reaction score
Hello,

Got a Mark V 2 Weeks now - Great Amp!
I'm a huge of the Pennywise Sound, but have no idea how to create that great Tone
with the Mark V :oops:

Could somebody help me??

...yeah, I'm a noob... :wink:

pennywise is my favorite band!!!!!! nice to see someone else on here listening to them too! fletcher used mark IV's live for a long time, early 2000's he started using dual recs live, recently he has been using crate blue voodoo's mixed with rectifiers. If you are going for old school pennywise you've got the right amp for it. if you want new pennywise tones you need a rectifier.

Anyways, I owned a mark V for a bit. to get the pennywise guitar sound use the graphic EQ but dont scoop the mids out too much, fletcher likes his mids. he also strictly uses EMG pickups which affect the tone a lot. other than that i can't help you much with exact settings for your mark V. just remember to play super fast with lots of chugging palm mutes and that's pennywise! i bet there will be no one else on this board who listen to pennywise...too bad, they have been one of the most influential hardcore punk bands. been around since the late 80's. such a sick band

theweatherman said:
If you are going for old school pennywise you've got the right amp for it.
quote]

Yeah, that's Sound i've been Lookin' for! Good old About Time / Full Circle Sound!
i've messed around with the EQ a little bit...i'm getting closer, but not close enough :?

Anyone an Idea??

You gotta remember his RGs are oversized, so I am guessing that having such a big piece of wood in the body affects the tone slightly, but I am sure that messing around with your RG you could easily get some of their tones from your V. I was listening to some of the newer stuff today but there seems to be alot of highs in Fletchers tone in the early days. They are great and I love them and all but they were killed by being wayyy too loud when I saw them live 3 times. There is a reason they are also known as 'the band who wants to be like Bad Religion' for a reason lol.

Back