Pedals - opinions & suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredhead72

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking of replacing a few of my boss pedals since they sound pretty bad with my new MkV.

Here are a few I was looking into... please give suggestions & opinions. I'm a metal / prog guy btw (Dream Theater, Opeth, etc...)

MXR ZW38 Zakk Wylde Black Label Chorus Guitar Effects Pedal

Electro-Harmonix Classics Small Clone Analog Chorus Guitar Effects Pedal

MXR M148 Micro Chorus Guitar Effects Pedal

MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Guitar Effects Pedal

Vox Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Guitar Effects Pedal

DeltaLab DD1 Digital Delay Guitar Effects Pedal

Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy Delay Guitar Effects Pedal

have you ever though about looking to maxon pedals or tc electronics?

Yeah, I started researching them but they're very pricey. I'm sure they must be great quality though.

yeah im making the switch to maxon, they are pricey but compaired to the mxr or eh for the extra 20 bucks more you get the quailty of maxon. I just find maxon haveing the best true-bypass with tone and sound. Althogh my EVH phase 90 is by far the best phaser ive EVER played with. Im still in the air about evh flanger or the maxon flanger

I use a MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Guitar Effects Pedal. I play mostly blues/blues-rock and it sounds fantastic. Place it in the effects loop and you'llbe very happy. The only issues is that since it is analog it doesn't have the delay times of some of the digital delays but in my opinion this is not a major issue and the analog sounds better.

Hope that helps.

I'd love to try some of these through my setup. I've heard great things about MXR, especially the phase 90 - pretty much everyone uses that.

Thanks guys.

You gotta find a used EVH phaser (red one) and give that thing a ride. They don't come up used that often but they can put foot in *** big time.

I use a rack setup now, but the Carbon Copy was fantastic with the Mark V. As good as it was, the TC Nova Delay was even better yet! Yes, they are pricey, but they just have a ton of options and are worth every extra penny you spend. You can store up to 9 presets, which is just terrific if you are a delay junkie like me!

Heritage Softail said:
You gotta find a used EVH phaser (red one) and give that thing a ride. They don't come up used that often but they can put foot in *** big time.

sooooo true but i foud one for 70 bucks dude was STUPID i scooped that up in a heart beat lol

My carbon copy gives me a big drop in volume when I use it. I am running a pedal snake. I wonder if I should set my CC on top of my head to shorten the cable length. But it only happens when I engage the pedal itself, so I dont know if that would help.

I find the EHX Memory Toy Delay to be an easy to dial in analog delay pedal which sounds great in front of my MkV for $90. I agree with many other posters about great delay pedals, but they cost much more. It depends on what you are after.

The EHX small clone and my TU-2 have never left my pedal board. Great pedal for the
price. Generalizing here, but there are really only two main flavors of chorus and
most would agree that everything else has been a derivative of either an EHX small clone
or a Boss CE.

The first gives you that watery, Nirvana-esque sound, while the second will give you
the shimmery, 80's hair band chorus.

Anyone try the Modfactor in the loop? I was thinking this would be a great all-in-one pedal for the loop, but most people run the phaser in front of the amp. So, I am starting to have second thoughts about it.

smd24fan said:
I use a rack setup now, but the Carbon Copy was fantastic with the Mark V. As good as it was, the TC Nova Delay was even better yet! Yes, they are pricey, but they just have a ton of options and are worth every extra penny you spend. You can store up to 9 presets, which is just terrific if you are a delay junkie like me!

I was just about to get a DD-20. Do you think the TC Nova Delay is better? Does it have a looper like the DD-20 (not that it has the same sort of live application like a real phrase sampler but you can use it to build solos when alone).

Back