Pedal for long, clean sustain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartwink

Reaction score
I have a beautiful tone coming out of my Lonestar Special, but I want to add a pedal that will give a longer, clean sustain for solo work, WITHOUT adding any overdrive or distortion to the signal. Does anybody have a magic bullet that maintains the original signal, but enhances the sustain?

Thanks...

Stuie

fulltone fatboost, voodoo labs sparkle drive, or seymour duncan Pickup booster all come to mind, along with any good over drive pedal, just turn the drive down and turn up the volume.

The Keeley Compressor will do EXACTLY what you want. In my opinion, it is the best out there. It will not color your sound at all.

Trust me on this.

RB

Allthough Scottspine and Vulture both name great pedals, if what you are looking for is CLEAN sustain with no additional drive, I repeat....buy the Keeley Comp. It will do what you want. If you are looking for aditiional drive or even a little crunch, the pedals they list will be great additions.

RB

Hey Red!

You got me really interested in the Keeley Comp. Sorry if this is a stupid question but where would you position this pedal in the chain.
My guitar goes into a Loooper, loop #1 into OD pedal, chorus and then the delay. Where would I put the Keeley?

Thanks for the help!

Bob

I use it right after my guitar. Robert Keeley recommends putting it right after your overdrive, but since I don't use an overdrive (that's what the Road King is for) I just put it in it's traditiional place. This gives you a nice, full, sustain-y, even tone for the rest of your chain into your amp. Keeley also recommends, and I HEARTILY agree...do not put the compressor at the end of your chain or after delays or echo effects.

If I understand your signal chain correctly, you run your OD, chorus and delay in a loop, but a looper delay in the front of your amp....I would try a couple of different things.

I would go guitar...Keeley....OD...then the looper....and run my chorus and delay (in that order) in my fx loop.

You might want to try what Robert suggests and go guitar...OD...then the Keeley...etc.

Most players I know experiment until they find what they are looking for. Keeley does know compressors, tho, and I think all his suggestions sound good.

Good luck, and let me know what you find.

RB

Back