Paul Reed Smith's "wood tap test"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
In regards to the link that i've attached, i'm curious as to what other peoples' experience/opinion is on paul reed smith's "wood tap test" that he demonstrates early on in the attached video. while i won't argue that a guitar that "rings" when you strike it doesn't sound good, i also don't believe that it is a prerequisite for good tone. both of my guitars (a clapton strat and a schecter tempest deluxe) don't have a fraction of the "ring" that paul's does in the video, yet, both of my guitars sound killer and sustain as good as any guitar i've ever owned (which include multiple PRS models). i'd also venture to say that if you go to GC and pick up a bunch of prs guitars, they're not all going to ring like the one in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk0R84gvyEk

It's all about resonance ... nothing is more important for me when I pick out any instrument. It is the same with brass, keys, strings, percussion, etc.

All my electrics resonate like a good acoustic. It takes me months and a lot of driving to find guitars I like.

another thing- a guitar can ring all it wants when you hold it out in front of you, but that all ends as soon as it is pressing up against your body when you play. suddenly the playing field is leveled.

Guitars that are loud and resonate also do this when against your body when you play them. But I am sure you are right it does have a effect.

stephen sawall said:
Guitars that are loud and resonate also do this when against your body when you play them. But I am sure you are right it does have a effect.

definitely has an effect. i have a gorgeous sounding Martin HD35, and i can actually hear a difference in the tone just by taking my right pinky off of the sound board when i play. as soon as my pinky, which i use to position my picking hand, moves off of the guitar's top i can instantly hear more resonance out of it. let alone the effect that your forearm has when it rests on the top of the guitar. whole lot of damping going on!

back to the original topic with electrics though, i still think this effect is a bit overblown. i had a '92 prs custom, and a pre lawsuit prs singlecut trem. never thought to do the "tap" test on any of them, but one thing is certain- my korean made Schecter sounds and sustains every bit as good as those guitars, and actually plays better than either. swear to god! however, when i do the tap test there is very little ring to the wood. maybe the (real, not duncan designed) duncan pickups and the tone pros hardware are making up for something...i don't know. it just works. my clapton strat? same thing. sounds virtually dead when you knock on it. plug it in- GORGEOUS! i should add that both guitars sound fine when strummed unplugged. i thought this was an interesting topic and am surprised that there's been so little response so far.

Well I well say in that video either that guitar has a freaky amount of resonance or there is a lot of compression on the recording. I would guess it is more compression. I would want to hear it in the room compared with a few guitars I know.

I agree the tap test is a factor ..... but we all know there is a lot more to the sound of a instrument. Like you said .... if you took any of his guitars off the wall in GC I would be surprised if it sounded like that when you tapped it.

yeah, i'm sure it was no accident that he picked that particular guitar for the video. probably the cream of the crop/private stock or something like that.

When a T-Style body that I ordered from USA Custom Guitars was ready to ship I got a call from Tommy. He was excited about the body and insisted that I tap on it on it before assembling it because it rang good.

It became a great guitar!

All things being equal, I think I'd just as soon start out with a guitar with a whole bunch of "extra" resonance, so when some it got squashed by my holding it, there would still be a substantial amount remaining. Dig?
FWIW, my 2006 PRS McCarty has significant "plink", as in the video.
My 1980 LP Standard, however, "plinks" like a 10 pound brick.
Neither will be going on eBay soon :lol:

think it is a bit of generalisation really, but wood density and weight plays a factor as well, there is really so many variables to what you will or won't get with tone - resonance - brightness in high end guitars based on the type of wood, quality of wood, and overall weight etc that it really just comes down to personal preference, and certain guitars will speak to certain players.

cool video!

Don said:
When a T-Style body that I ordered from USA Custom Guitars was ready to ship I got a call from Tommy. He was excited about the body and insisted that I tap on it on it before assembling it because it rang good.

It became a great guitar!

Tommy is great .... I have been to his shop many times. He supplies many well know manufactures. I am sure my next guitar well come from him. You can tell a lot about a piece of wood and it's sound property's long before it is a guitar.

The test Paul does in the video is nothing new .... people have done this for many centuries. I have been doing it 40 years myself.

I'd have to agree with the "resonance test"; if a guitar doesn't sound great while I'm playing it unplugged, no amount of pickups, hardware, pedals, cables or amps can truly make it an exceptional guitar. I don't usually tap them all over the back and neck, though...

I do the resonance test mainly because I practice exclusively unplugged, and when it sounds great unplugged, it'll sound superb plugged in! It stops me from hiding behind a wall of gain, makes my mistakes in technique painfully evident, and makes me really bond with the guitar alone as opposed to how the guitar sounds through the amp...

i'm just saying that i don't think a guitar that "rings" when you knock it is a prerequisite for good tone. my friend has a guitar that rings a lot when you knock on it, yet my guitar that doesn't ring sustains just as much and sounds every bit as good. so there. :wink:

don't think they are talking about the wood ringing as such, maybe more so the acoustic sound of the wood when knocked, the more dense the wood of the guitar, the less the wood will ring, maybe like mahogany for example being quite dense and solid will have a certain acoustic quality to it when knocked, but the strings on the guitar will probably ring with more resonance.

anyway, I don't really care. :)

i wrote about this very same thing, quite some time back, and posted it here.

here's a re-post:

in my years of playing, and building the odd project here and there, the one thing that i consistently saw, was that if it sounded spanky without being plugged in, it'd sound spanky plugged in.

and if it sounded dead sitting in the shop, and if i plugged it in, dead.

(now, this is not to be confused with lots of gain, and radical tone shaping, and all that...
just the basic pure sound of the guitar amplified, versus acoustically playing it)

and i've switched out bridges and electronics, even nuts, and they all did do a little something....

but i think the magic comes from the 'tone' of the neck, and the 'tone' of the body.

and then the mojo is, marrying the two together.

when i researched and built my USACG project strat my luthier and i, had at our disposal, 5 strats in house, for sell or repairs or work....
3 fender strats of various vintage and country of origin (korean, MIM, MIJ)....
and 2 brand new american made strats.

we had my luthier's WARMOTH strat and neck....

plus, we had a few other strat wannabes-- Godin, Ibanez, the odd project guitar..

we did, at various points in the discovery process, take apart most of them.

one thing i noticed, was that certain 'necks' would not pass the 'tap test'.

what the tap test was, was simply hanging the neck (with all hardware off of it) from a hanger thru a machine head hole, and 'tapping' on the wood with the finger.

you could rap the back of the neck with your knuckle, and you could hear a distinct 'ring' or 'tone' in the wood.
every single neck was different.
some were solid maple, some maple with maple caps, some with rosewood caps....

all different.
as you would expect.

but some were dead sounding, and some were very lively.

needless to say, the 'lively' sounding necks, sounded the best on the bodies.

the bodies, a similar thing.
when i asked for my strat body, i decided on alder, and i specifically asked for the 'lightest 2-piece alder body' they had...

why 2 piece?
i don't know, i guess cuz the nicest body i found in the test, was a lightweight, 2 piece body that had a nitro finish on it, so that's what i patterned after.

i also had read a lot of articles on pros that had vintage strats, and that seemed to be a common thread.

when i got my alder body, while it was still raw, it had that 'tap tone'.

now when we experimented with various pieces at hand, you could hear the difference in the overall sound of the guitar (plugged in or not) when switching the necks out with different bodies.

also, the necks that had vintage style truss rods (one of the reasons i went with the USACG necks over the warmoth necks) was another big 'aha'.

it seems that, the way the wood is cut, and how the truss rod was installed, made the biggest difference of all, over wood types and fingerboard selection...

i took a maple/rosewood warmoth neck, with a gibson conversion scale, the double expanding truss rod thingy (which really makes the neck heavier and somewhat dead sounding) and a/b'd it against my freshly minted USACG neck with rock maple neck and pau ferro fretboard, basically the same neck as the usacg, except for the truss rod and the fret wood.

no contest.

my neck had the 'tap tone', and the warmoth did not.
plain and simple.....

i was absolutely convinced.

another difference BETWEEN my neck and the warmoth i compared to, in particular was the construction of the 'tiltback' headstock.
the usacg uses a volute construction...
the warmoth used scarf joint.
that seems to have some bearing as well.

moral of the story....
it's gotta be the wood.

MrBear said:
I'd have to agree with the "resonance test"; if a guitar doesn't sound great while I'm playing it unplugged, no amount of pickups, hardware, pedals, cables or amps can truly make it an exceptional guitar. I don't usually tap them all over the back and neck, though...

I do the resonance test mainly because I practice exclusively unplugged, and when it sounds great unplugged, it'll sound superb plugged in! It stops me from hiding behind a wall of gain, makes my mistakes in technique painfully evident, and makes me really bond with the guitar alone as opposed to how the guitar sounds through the amp...

:wink:
Couldn't have said better!

but again, as far as a tap test goes- my guitars are dead. BUT they sound great plugged in and acoustically. and for what it is worth, i've owned some real high end stuff over the years. a few of which pieces were sold because my current "no-ringers" sound every bit as good. i guess what i'm saying is just because a guitar doesn't have a ring to it when you tap it doesn't mean it will sound like ***.

Ring a ding do your thing...If you don't like the way an electric guitar sounds/resonates unpluged..it only gets worse when you plug it in...

this thread is a load....

what affects the way a guitar resonates and sustains most, especially heavier solid body guitars where a more dense type of wood is used?

string gauge.

Right on..Thats why I use EXL115w's...More string more sound...more metal more magnetism...but the guitar still has to resonate...

Latest posts

Back