PA and Live Sound Set-ups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTC-Ax20

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to put this post, so "Off Topic" seems to make the most sense. Alright, my band has been borrowing a PA set-up for our last couple of shows. We have accumulated a small PA fund with the proceeds from the shows we've played and we're trying to invest in some of our own PA gear. We picked up a pair 15" main speakers (Sonic, I think) and an old Peavey power amp (CS-400) on the cheap. We tested the power amp last week and I don't think it's working properly (no volume), so we just go with a new powered PA mixer/head. I don't know much about these types of systems, so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. I assume you need to use speaker cable (as opposed to instrument) to connect the speakers to a power amp, correct? Obviously, the wattage ratings on this type of gear varies greatly, but what would be the proper amount power for playing small bar gigs. We also will need some sort of monitor solution, so I was thinking of at least 3 small monitor cabs in series. Any advice?

Thanks,[/b]

You should you speaker cables instead of instrument cables. When my band was forming I didn't know much about pa equipment either. This what I learned the hard way. I would recommend getting a separate power amp and mixer. Not sure what venues, kind of band your in, but I am in a 4 piece rock band. I purchased a 400 watt powered mixer which is fine for practices, but is way under powered for show. We use to mains and 2 monitors. Seems to work well enough, but I am always fighting feed back since I have the pa cranked as loud as it can go. If you go the separate powered amplifier you could always add bigger pa speakers later for added bass. Its well worth it to save a little more and go this route. I am sure other people here can add more info than I have. I have never used one, but digital mixers will have built in features that will reduce feedback and such.

Good luck

get a mackie 808 powered mixer (1000 watts)... some speaker cables and two 2 way main speakers on stands. You can also plug onto an additional power amp for the mains and use the mackie for monitors.

I use one for my rehearsal spot and it works nicely. Expect about 500-900 price range

from the little research I've done as of late (because i'm looking into powered monitors) the QSC stuff is probably some of the best. The QSC HPR122i's are probably the best for the money. Little more expensive than mackie and jbl but they blow them out of the water in terms clarity and headroom which for a PA the more wattage the better. I've also been looking into the RCF stuff as it seems to get great reviews and is compared a lot to the QSC stuff but is lighter due to using the neodinium speaker technology. I know i'm citing more of the powered monitor stuff but from what i've read and been recommended, QSC and RCF make the top quality stuff for the money across their lines. Also you can find QSC power amps on craigslist and ebay for cheap.... i think for a PA you should spend the money to get the great sound and not worry about the price so much ebcause if it can get you more attention and mroe shows it pays for itself.

njsurf speaks the truth. 400W isn't enough for a show.

I'd try to use all Mackie 450 powered units for PA & monitors. Get a couple of subs too.

Back