Oversized vintage 2X12 cab- anybody ever hear/play thru one

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage boogie oversized 2 X 12 slant cab, split open/ closed back, diamond metal front. Speakers don't matter to me that much I have extra speakers. Dose anyone know anything about these cab's? Is there any advantage to this 2X12 over a 4X12 (besides it being a few lbs. less) I'm going to run a C+ and a heartbreaker through it with an amp switcher if that makes any difference. Any experience you have with this cab would be greatly appreciated. I have until Thursday PM or Friday AM to move forward with this or not. THANKS !!!

The vertical 212 halfback is a great cab.
It has some closed-back tightness blended with the open-back spaciousness.
In a way (not all the way) it sort of mimics the oversized 412's sound, but in a more portable package.

Hard to beat a mesa 412, unless you have to move it by yourself all the time.
Both are great cabs.

Thanks for the reply, this cab is the same size as a 4X12 with 2 speakers. I don't want to regret holding out for a 4X12. I don't see many 4X12 split cabs for sale. It's a friend selling it so no shipping charges. He wants $325.00 and it has an MC 90 and a vintage 30 in it. Am I foolish not to pull the trigger at that price? He has another buyer Fri PM if I balk. Anyone else have an opinion on this 2X12 boogie cab? THANKS

Buster Leggs said:
Thanks for the reply, this cab is the same size as a 4X12 with 2 speakers. I don't want to regret holding out for a 4X12. I don't see many 4X12 split cabs for sale. It's a friend selling it so no shipping charges. He wants $325.00 and it has an MC 90 and a vintage 30 in it. Am I foolish not to pull the trigger at that price? He has another buyer Fri PM if I balk. Anyone else have an opinion on this 2X12 boogie cab? THANKS

That's a decent price for the 2x12.
But fwiw they don't usually come stocked with any V30's. So the V30 was swapped in at some point.

You are close but not quite accurate on the size.
These 2x12's are "almost" the same size as a 4x12 but they are smaller.

Not sure what you mean by a "split cab" (in a 4x12 or a 2x12).
Do you mean top open, bottom closed?

gts said:
Buster Leggs said:

That's a decent price for the 2x12.
But fwiw they don't usually come stocked with any V30's. So the V30 was swapped in at some point.

You are close but not quite accurate on the size.
These 2x12's are "almost" the same size as a 4x12 but they are smaller.

Not sure what you mean by a "split cab" (in a 4x12 or a 2x12).
Do you mean top open, bottom closed?

Yes closed bottom open top. In the photo it looks slightly smaller than a 4X12 as you stated. I'm hoping the width is at least 30 inches so my heartbreaker fits on top. Do you know the standard width of these cabs? He say he doesn't care if he sells it or not and is un willing to go measure it, he only wants to meet me once at his warehouse. He did say the v30 was a swap out and now he's saying he's not sure it's a MC90 in the bottom because he's saying he's pretty sure the bottom speaker in made by eminence, but it is a black shadow of some type. The only deal breaker for me aside from it being in working order is the 30 inch cab width. What do to know about the standard width of these cabs. I have until Sunday noon. THANKS

Buster Leggs said:
Yes closed bottom open top. In the photo it looks slightly smaller than a 4X12 as you stated. I'm hoping the width is at least 30 inches so my heartbreaker fits on top. Do you know the standard width of these cabs? He say he doesn't care if he sells it or not and is un willing to go measure it, he only wants to meet me once at his warehouse. He did say the v30 was a swap out and now he's saying he's not sure it's a MC90 in the bottom because he's saying he's pretty sure the bottom speaker in made by eminence, but it is a black shadow of some type. The only deal breaker for me aside from it being in working order is the 30 inch cab width. What do to know about the standard width of these cabs. I have until Sunday noon. THANKS

Mesa Metal Grille Half Back Cabs:
2x12 is 24" wide
4x12 is 26-1/2" wide

Fwiw you refer to his cab as an "oversize" cab.
Some of Mesa's current 4x12 cabs are called "oversize" but these do not have metal grilles.
"Oversize" was not a term used to describe older cabs with metal grilles (or any of Mesa's Vertical 2x12's).

Thanks GTS, that's 6 inches less than the heartbreaker (heavy sigh) it looked like it could be wider in the photo. Well it wouldn't fit on a 4x12 cab either. I guess I could move the rubber feet inward on the HB and have 3 inches hanging over on each side, its gonna look a little awkward but its sound I'm after. I really want to get moving on this multi amp project and my 1X12's definitely won't do the trick.(heart breaker it defiantly to large for those). Thanks to every one that replied and helped me.

Latest posts

Back