Overdrive to Boost Front End of a Rectifer!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This seems to be a coveted method for many around here....to tighten the beast up a bit.

I'm switching to a traditional cab if all goes well within the next week for two, but I'd also like to give this a shot, as there is so much talk about it, and I have yet to try it.

What OD do you guys recommend? I have heard alot about Maxon (808 and OD-9), Xotic Effects (BB Preamp), and also some talk on the gear page of MI Audio (Tube Zone).

Thanks for the help!

+! to Maxon OD9. It has the smooth Tube Screamer character and doesn't steal as much bottom end from your tone as the 808's do.

IMO the Mi Audio Tube Zone isn't necessary for the rectos. To me, it's more of a preamp or distortion box, meant for playing through a clean or semi-clean amp. A recto doesn't need that much help, know what I mean? YMMV

I also like the Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket. Again, not a preamp or distortion, just a good sounding overdrive.

M

I like the old Boss OD-1 and I also use a modified DS-1 (similar mod as the Keeley Ultra) in front of my Recto and of course a tube screamer will do fine (I have the TS-9, ST-9, TS-10 and TS-7).

You don't want to drive a recto with the MI Audio Tube Zone.. it's a great pedal but it's WAY overkill in the gain department, it'd squash the sh!t out of your tone. I've not played the BB preamp with a recto but I do like the TS9 and my OCD with the recto.

I use a Keeley modded Ibanez TS-9DX Flexi.

It absolutely ROARS on the lead channel of my Rectos.

FWIW - I saw Chevelle last night, and Pete (although he uses MarkIV's) was using the OCD from what I could see.

I am more of a Mark than Recto guy...and the BB Preamp is the only way I can tighten the recto channels on my RK II.

i really dig the maxon od808. i just got it in the mail the other day and i absolutely love what it added to my rectifier.

TS9's aren't bad either. i used one for about a year or so...speaking of which if anyone wants to buy a used TS9 just let me know :D

instead of spending more money on a Maxon OD9 or 808 just buy a Ibanez TS9 and mod it to 808 specs. Its only 2 resistors that make the difference. Also, these 2 resistors alone are what make the difference in pushing the front end of the amp way better than a stock TS9 or OD9. I have all the info on how to do it (I've modded a lot of TS9's) if your interested as well as making the pedal cleaner with the gain turned down and dirtier with the gain turned up. I can also give a GREAT LOW END tightness to the pedal and even change the waveform of the distortion. And, if your really serious about your effects i can give you the info on how to true bypass it also. I don't think this particular pedal design needs it but, some people do.

I've got an OD9 and a BB in front of my Roadster. It's nothing short of orgasmic.

+1 for Talus. I run a Maxon OD9 and a Xotic BB Preamp in front of my DR. Halfway through a gig last weekend I actually pulled the Maxon off my pedalboard though. The BB is the absolute **** !
Bad Monkey is a great "value" pedal and of course tubescreamers seem to be the universal standard but Im telling you the BB preamp is it. But hey, dont buy one.....im glad to keep all the great tone to myself!

Back