Output Valve change confusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TractorTom

Reaction score
Hello all

Im a noobie, used to be on the Randall site but got fed up with the MTS amp, it kept playing up. So, I bought the recto 50 head. This thing is ace, sounds absolutley brill, Im chuffed. My question is when it comes to change the output valves what do you get. Do you get the mesa boogie 6l6's - straight change? Whats the dif between gray and blue are there any other codes, Im a bit confuddled.

Cheers all :D

TractorTom said:
Hello all

Im a noobie, used to be on the Randall site but got fed up with the MTS amp, it kept playing up. So, I bought the recto 50 head. This thing is ace, sounds absolutley brill, Im chuffed. My question is when it comes to change the output valves what do you get. Do you get the mesa boogie 6l6's - straight change? Whats the dif between gray and blue are there any other codes, Im a bit confuddled.

Cheers all :D

The colors are just matched (duets) tubes . They seperate them into colors after testing them . Some are a bit hotter or weaker so after looking at them on the tester thye know what color group to put them in so they are matched up as well as can be . Glad you are chuffed with the Recto but most of them on this side of the pond will have no idea what chuffed is ! For the record its slang for being pleased with something . What part of the UK are you in ? My mum is from Berks .

yes you can simply purchase mesa tubes and there is no need for rebiasing. Simply plug and play. But you can also purchase other name brand tubes which you will find much cheaper and at least to me much better sounding than the mesa's. Do yourself a favor and look through these threads about different tubes people are using if you like the option of other brands. If you go that direction A well trusted dealer and nice guy on this side of the pond who will ship to Europe is Dougs tubes. Call him and tell him what amp you need tubes for and the sound your after and he like always will set you up right. Good luck to you
By the way I believe if you have the single recto you will notice a slide switch on the back of the amp that says el34 and 6l6. All you need to to is switch it to either or and you then have the option to use 6l6 or el34's.
This is a great feature if you enjoy the more British sounding el34's.

http://www.dougstubes.com/

Thanks for the replies thats pretty much what I needed to know. Yeah Barry Im living in North Wales a little town on the coast called Llandudno. My wife and I have a small Guest House, so if your ever this way!

cheers again

I always stuck with the Mesa branded tubes, though I've got a dealer about 5 miles away! :wink:

TractorTom said:
Thanks for the replies thats pretty much what I needed to know. Yeah Barry Im living in North Wales a little town on the coast called Llandudno. My wife and I have a small Guest House, so if your ever this way!

cheers again

Lovely, I've been in your part of the world . LLangollen, Conwy. North Wales is very nice . May stay a night in your guest when we are over again .

treelifeUK said:
Cymru am byth!

The Boogie Board is being infiltrated with Welshmen ! Actually ive been fortunate enough to see a good bit of Wales . Lovely rural land . Snowdonia is fantastic .

Alas I can't boast to be Welsh, we moved up here 15 years ago from the Midlands after my band Prophecy of Doom split up and various other s**t that life throws at ya.

Cheers again :D

Latest posts

Back