Output level or individual master control?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksime1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mark IV and I am in love with the **** thing, it's such a great sounding amp..............it's very musical.

However I'm not sure which is the best way to crank it and get the valves working!
Should I use the main output level as my main volume control or would it be better to use the individual master control for each channel?

Or to put it another way, which volume control pushes the amp the hardest??

Cheers
\m/

I run my channel volumes around 4 and my master around 3 -4 in tweed ETC.

A higher OUTPUT and lower channel volume will get your power tubes working XD

Cool, thanks man.

I notice that you also have a Marshall 1960a cab, what do you think to it? Ideally I would like to downsize to a 2x12 but after shelling out for the Mark IV I'm gonna have to wait! I think I'm gonna go for either a rectifier cab or an Orange cab. I heard someone play a Dual Recto through an Orange 2x12 and it soundy really punchy !

Cheers

I guess I just need to expore some cabs in a bit more detail, I'll defo go for a 2x12 but what one exactly I can't decide till I hear them. I hear a lot of good things about the half-backs so they will be on my list of cabs to try. I'm also gonna try rectifier cabs, stilleto cabs, Orange cabs and maybe even Genz Benz (if I can get my hands on them in England).

The Marshall isn't TOO bad actually. The G12-75's in there are a little fuzzy but you G-EQ can fix that up! So lately I've had a REALLY good tone after making some adjustments. I'm usually getting compliments when we play gigs so I don't think the cab is doing too bad. But a Stiletto 4 x 12 is what I want!

chris_EIT said:
The Marshall isn't TOO bad actually. The G12-75's in there are a little fuzzy but you G-EQ can fix that up! So lately I've had a REALLY good tone after making some adjustments. I'm usually getting compliments when we play gigs so I don't think the cab is doing too bad. But a Stiletto 4 x 12 is what I want!

Dude the mk IV and stiletto 4x12 are made for one another..sound is so good..

rabies said:
@ the studio I usually run the mesa 4x12 metal grille cab with my IV but the gflex 212 is very good as well (for metal stuff, not as good for cleans).

the gflex is very loud for a 212 trust me (ported & baffled)

get the gflex 412 :twisted:

I do like the look at of gflex 2x12, however they are very limited in the UK and also very expensive! There just as much as Mesa's :(

Gflex 2x2 = £529
Framus 2x12 = £214
Mesa recto 2x12 = £558
Orange 2x12 = £389

Orange do customising so I can get the 2x12 in black, it looks mean ! !

rabies said:
@ the studio I usually run the mesa 4x12 metal grille cab with my IV but the gflex 212 is very good as well (for metal stuff, not as good for cleans).

the gflex is very loud for a 212 trust me (ported & baffled)

get the gflex 412 :twisted:

I do like the look at of gflex 2x12, however they are very limited in the UK and also very expensive! There just as much as Mesa's :(

Gflex 2x2 = £529
Framus 2x12 = £214
Mesa recto 2x12 = £558
Orange 2x12 = £389

Orange do customising so I can get the 2x12 in black, it looks mean ! !

Random Hero said:
I'll sell you my mint Standard Rectifier 4x12 for £675.

Thanks for the offer man but I can't afford it at this point in time and I'm also looking for a 2x12.

I just spoke to Orange and they say that they dont charge any more for making a black 2x12 cabinet but that it takes a little longer to get to you!

Latest posts

Back