OT: EVM-12L for MkV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPJunky

Reaction score
After hearing about EVM-12L speakers I have a serious case of GAS. I have a few cabs that currently house Celestions speaker (CL-80 and G12K100 to be precise) that I would like to swap to EVM12L. Does the screw holes perfectly align with those of the celestion's? I don't want to rip the tolex on my cabs or buy yet an other cab. The Mesa Cabs look great with their removable from grill but I can't spare the extra money.

Thanks

Sure, the mounting holes match.
Things to be aware of:
The EVM has a thick frame, sometimes the screws aren't long enough.
Check the depth of the cab. EVMs are 5.5 inches deep.

LPJunky said:
After hearing about EVM-12L speakers I have a serious case of GAS. I have a few cabs that currently house Celestions speaker (CL-80 and G12K100 to be precise) that I would like to swap to EVM12L. Does the screw holes perfectly align with those of the celestion's? I don't want to rip the tolex on my cabs or buy yet an other cab. The Mesa Cabs look great with their removable from grill but I can't spare the extra money.

Thanks

Please tell us about the CL-80 and G12K100 with the Mark V...

Overall, the CL-80 were very decent speakers but they can't handle very well the bass. Especially if it's a clean sound thats been dialed. I can hear the paper of the speaker rattling. When you play distorted of course that get completely lost in the rest of the action. I hear that the CL-80 are very much like the C90 12 inchs and I would tend to agree after demoing various cabs at my local Mesa dealer. They tend to buzz a low frequency.

Now I got hold of a pair of 1x12" cabs with G12K100. They are great little boxes. They are a little bit darker but they play very well especially at higher volume. I sort of miss the little added treble at time.

I came to realize that what I want is a speaker that is not harsh, that can handle all the bass I throw at it and that does not color the sound I send to it. === EVM12L ! Is that a correct assumption?

By the way, after a few months I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. The higher frequencies were tiring me and I could always tell they were there never to far. I switched to EL34 with a TungSol RI in V1, that problem solve. Next, the MkV deserve a good cab.

I don't think the effects in the loop are that crucial, speakers have the biggest impact

I play mostly rock, hard rock and even jazz.

LPJunky said:
Overall, the CL-80 were very decent speakers but they can't handle very well the bass. Especially if it's a clean sound thats been dialed. I can hear the paper of the speaker rattling. When you play distorted of course that get completely lost in the rest of the action. I hear that the CL-80 are very much like the C90 12 inchs and I would tend to agree after demoing various cabs at my local Mesa dealer. They tend to buzz a low frequency.

Now I got hold of a pair of 1x12" cabs with G12K100. They are great little boxes. They are a little bit darker but they play very well especially at higher volume. I sort of miss the little added treble at time.

I came to realize that what I want is a speaker that is not harsh, that can handle all the bass I throw at it and that does not color the sound I send to it. === EVM12L ! Is that a correct assumption?

By the way, after a few months I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. The higher frequencies were tiring me and I could always tell they were there never to far. I switched to EL34 with a TungSol RI in V1, that problem solve. Next, the MkV deserve a good cab.

I don't think the effects in the loop are that crucial, speakers have the biggest impact

I play mostly rock, hard rock and even jazz.

base on your description, it is worth mentioning another speaker "Eminence Delta pro 12A". this speaker is extremely close to EVM12L. the delta pro 12A has just a little bit less treble!!! and cheaper

the only issue is that only comes in 8 OHMs

good luck

salvatruco said:
base on your description, it is worth mentioning another speaker "Eminence Delta pro 12A". this speaker is extremely close to EVM12L. the delta pro 12A has just a little bit less treble!!! and cheaper

the only issue is that only comes in 8 OHMs

good luck
+1 !! The Eminence Delta Pro 12A is a fantastic speaker with the Mark V. I have one in a custom wide-body 1x12" and it sounds spectacular. Considering the price, it's unbeatable. 8)

Interesting. I think the Delta Pro 12A look very promising and at a good price. Big magnet like the EV12M. I checked the various specs and response curve and its hard to get a true appriciation from technical data. For example. The Celestion site shows that the G12K100 has a response (usable) from 80-5500Hz compared to the CL-80 has a 80-5000Hz when the K100 is definitely darker ??!!. As for curiosity I checked the Delta Pro, it has 50-4500Hz and the EV1M 80-7000hz so what it tells me is that the complex structure of the response has a lot to do and the range itself is only part of the story.

In the specs there is a number that looks like distances between screws

Celestion PCD 297mm
Eminence PCB 294mm

If the fit is difficult may be filled a tad probably?

You got me conviced. I'll hunt one Delta pro down and post my findings.

Thanks to all.

Just a quick note! I went ahead and ordered a Delta Pro112A. Just received it Friday. I swapped one of my two CL80 with it and put a G12K100 for the other CL80. I can split or used them as mono so I did a bit of comparison. The Delta Pro is way better at handling bass. Less cardboard cone noise. That was my main beef with the CL80 and and less an issue with the G12K100. Especially noticable/unavoidable when playing clean stuff on channel 1. That's my general first impression. The speakers have different personality at different levels like within the band of sitting in front at low volume. Overall this combo seems to be alright for me. I like the Delta Pro but maybe not as much as I would of liked. Nothing is perfect and at low volume I can hear some rattles at some very specific frequencies coming from the speaker.

Thanks Salvatruco for suggesting the Delta It's a definite improvement for what I do. I think an EVM12L would have too much of an extended range in the high frequencies. Just for the sake of comparing, the Delta is more solid in the bass frequencies than the G12K100 without being as dark. I found the specs on the manufacturer's websites a bit misleading and difficult to anticipate how they actually sounds one versus the others. I'll post an update later this week.

I've found that every new speaker I've owned has had a ratty edge to to it. After about 7 to 10 hours of LOUD playing you'll find that the speaker will soften up and smooth out, and will continue to noticably improve until you have around 40 to 60 hours on it (some speakers take longer... I've read that Classic Lead/MC-90s can take upwards of 100 hours to fully break in).

LPJunky said:
Thanks Salvatruco for suggesting the Delta It's a definite improvement for what I do. I think an EVM12L would have too much of an extended range in the high frequencies. Just for the sake of comparing, the Delta is more solid in the bass frequencies than the G12K100 without being as dark. I found the specs on the manufacturer's websites a bit misleading and difficult to anticipate how they actually sounds one versus the others. I'll post an update later this week.
you are welcome..... this is the speaker that fullfill my final link in my chain.
good luck :wink:

screamingdaisy said:
I've found that every new speaker I've owned has had a ratty edge to to it. After about 7 to 10 hours of LOUD playing you'll find that the speaker will soften up and smooth out, and will continue to noticably improve until you have around 40 to 60 hours on it (some speakers take longer... I've read that Classic Lead/MC-90s can take upwards of 100 hours to fully break in).
+1

Just to let you know that I finally changed both my CL-80 that were in my 2x12" cab for a GK100 I had and an Eminence Delta-PRO 12A following your suggestion. I think that will do it for me as well. It's now got a nice bottom end (for the style I play-> rock, hard rock, that sort of stuff..) I can even cut the bass a bit more now. Some said the Mark V was on the brigth side... don't see it now with these puppies).

Also, I had changed to EL-34 in an ultimate attempt to tame the harshness I was experiencing with the 6L6 (and it worked quite well I must say) but had trouble with effect loop and went back to Mesa 6L6 before sending it back to the shop. Now I realize that the high frequency response of those speakers just cut the offending frequencies that I could not stand before. Not sure I will swap back to EL-34 well probably will but for other reasons ....

Eminence Delta PRO 12A = GOOD

LPJunky said:
Just to let you know that I finally changed both my CL-80 that were in my 2x12" cab for a GK100 I had and an Eminence Delta-PRO 12A following your suggestion. I think that will do it for me as well. It's now got a nice bottom end (for the style I play-> rock, hard rock, that sort of stuff..) I can even cut the bass a bit more now. Some said the Mark V was on the brigth side... don't see it now with these puppies).

Also, I had changed to EL-34 in an ultimate attempt to tame the harshness I was experiencing with the 6L6 (and it worked quite well I must say) but had trouble with effect loop and went back to Mesa 6L6 before sending it back to the shop. Now I realize that the high frequency response of those speakers just cut the offending frequencies that I could not stand before. Not sure I will swap back to EL-34 well probably will but for other reasons ....

Eminence Delta PRO 12A = GOOD
glad that you are happy with the Eminence DP12A!!!!!!!! speakers do make a difference :wink:

Back