Ordering a New MK IV Combo: Hardwood Vs. Plywood ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
W/O regards to the cost difference, please provide your opinions on the following:

1. Durability (i.e. resistance to decay, termites and other wood boring bugs, etc.)

2. Tone

I have done some research on #1 above and have narrowed down my hardwood choices to:

- Purpleheart (strong, very dense)
- Imbuya (naturally resistant to decay and termites)

I couldn't find any durability info on the Birch plywood (which is what I believe Mesa uses).

Any advice will be appreciated, I am placing my order this week.

If you pull the trigger, Mesa is almost out of Imbuya and it may be the last batch they see. The Imbuya adds and incredible balance to combo's.
The density of the solid hardwood and the fact that it is not multi-ply birch may have a hand in how it enhances the tone. They wear incredibly well, but if you have termites, it would be an elaborate feast for them. My biggest compliment to the Imbuya is how stunning it is to look at. It's like Victorian furniture with a Frank Lloyd Wright vibe. :D

They are very hard to resist...

My mistake, I meant in my original post, that:

Imbuya (high resistance to decay)

Purpleheart (high resistance to wood boring insects and drywood termites).

Boogiebabies, so what do you think of Purpleheart as a hardwood? Same sonic qualities of Imbuya?

Latest posts

Back