Ordering a New Mesa Combo: Hardwood Vs. Plywood ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
W/O regards to the cost difference, please provide your opinions on the following:

1. Durability (i.e. resistance to decay, termites and other wood boring bugs, etc.)

2. Tone

I have done some research on #1 above and have narrowed down my hardwood choices to:

- Purpleheart (strong, very dense, resistant to termites)
- Imbuya (naturally resistant to decay)

I couldn't find any durability info on the Birch plywood (which is what I believe Mesa uses).

Any advice will be appreciated, I am placing my order this week.

Mesa uses hardwoods thare not from the rainforest. Plywood is more stable and wil resist warping better than a non-laminated wood. And Birch is hard as hell. Purpleheart will change color after awhile if its not sealed due to oxidation. It will get darker. Some people call it charactor. I would be afraid to take a nice hardwood amp out of the house. One scratch and it would be over. If you plan on playing out. myself I would get the plywood and get a really nice leather or tolex upgrade.

Keep in mind the Birch plywood is not the standard American grade you get at Home Depot. It is Baltic Birch and made of solid wood ply. It is much more stable than hardwood in terms of being affected by weather. As for tone, it's subjective. Probably only really matters in open back cabinets and combos.

Dave

... and Baltic plywood, you would have to get at a specialty lumber shop that sells the exotic woods.

Tone, that's subjective. Some like the resonance of hardwood. I sure like the look of hardwood, its just the abuse it will take at gigs ...

resist termites and wood eating bugs => choice: cedar, redwood and teak ... not the prettiest wood. Teak weathers well outdoors as well as the other two but cedar and redwood are very acidic that termites and bugs don't like to eat into it unless the acidic is already worn down. :lol:

Thanks for the replies all, I really appreciated. I had to get my order in today....so I pondered the choice last night along with some additional research and came up with the following choice:

Bubinga Hardwood cabinet. I chose a hardwood over the ply because deep down, I wanted a hardwood amp. I've owned many mark IVs before, and once had a maple cab Mark IV, and liked it better than the others. I didn't keep it because at the time I was gigging in alot of venues where the cab would get beat up. I am not doing those types of gigs anymore.......I only play in church type venues.

I also went deep into the research mode as I wanted to select the most durable and stable hardwood, while at the sametime not contributing to the Rainforest's deforestation. Bubinga is plentiful in Africa, and is one of the most stable, naturally resistant to termites, wood boring insects and decay. It is also harder than maple, and teak.

After hours of research, I found some PDFs from the U.S Dept of Forestry... and got the following info:

Bubinga:

Origin:
Central Africa

Appearance:
A beautiful, dense hardwood with a lustrous appearance, bubinga has a rose-colored background with darker purple striping. This wood is usually very uniform in graining and color, and the texture is fine and even. When quarter-sawn, the figure of bubinga shows considerable "flame," while it exhibits attractive rosewood graining when flat-sawn. When fully aged, bubinga has a rich burgundy red color.

Heartwood Color
The heartwood is medium red-brown or red to reddish-brown in color, with lighter red to purple veins. Upon exposure, the wood becomes yellow or medium brown with a reddish tint, and the veining becomes less conspicuous.

Movement in Service
The timber is reported to be dimensionally stable, and retains its shape well after manufacture.

Natural Durability
The heartwood is reported to be naturally resistant to decay, attack by termites and most xylophagous beetles.

Cutting Resistance
Bubinga is hard and heavy, but it is reported to saw slowly but readily.

Hardness: 1980
Bubinga is a hard and durable wood species. It is ninety-eight percent harder than teak, about fifty-three percent harder than hard maple, roughly fourteen percent harder than African padauk, a little over eight percent harder than hickory or pecan, almost identical in hardness to jarrah (under one percent), and ninety percent as hard as santos mahogany's ranking of 2200.

As the above data suggests, warping is not likely with this wood and is more durable than plywood (I also did some research on the durability of plywood and the glue compounds used to put them together.....but I won't bore anyone with that data -- it's too long), heck it is stronger than teak.

I considered a croc skin cab, but IMO, the price isn't justified given the amount of leather being used in the small cab I am ordering (narrow MK IV Combo). The price diff between the leather croc and hardwood was less than $50. And consider this, the hardwood can be easily repaired (sanded re-finished) for alot less than leather tolex

Sorry for the long post, but I had a hard time finding out alot of this info, and found very little on this board, so hopefully my research can help another member searching for similar answers.

Thanks everyone. :wink:

I'm glad you chose African hardwoods and not uncertified illegal smuggled cut exoticwoods from South America's or Central America's rainforest. :cry:

Good choice. I have an F-50 in bubinga. Love the way it looks, the way it smells, the way it sounds - everything. If termites really are a concern, get a case for it. You should probably do that anyway if you plan on taking it out of the house. It weighs a lot, but seems like it's going to last a lifetime.

Here's mine:

Boogie1.jpg

That F50 looks absolutely stunning!!!! Thanks for the PIC.....

and yes, I do plan to order a road case for it, but I am going to wait until it comes in just to make sure all the measurements are exact.

Below is my Hardwood LSS

Had it the hardwood for looks, but it does sound different

below is a pic

newls18.jpg

Seeing that LSS just made me wet myself......I can't wait to get my HW MK IV now :D

Congrats on the new amp JAZZGEAR! I've been thinking about getting a LSC to compliment my LSS and you guys are definitely pushing me towards the wood. If the price difference isn't all that much it'll be a no brainer for me.

Also wanted to ask if termites are a common problem indoors in your area. I think all the times I've seen them they were in the foundation wood or outdoor porch areas of older structures. If I saw termites gnawing and chewing up the back of my Mesa I'd be FREAKIN'.... was termite resistance really a consideration? or is there a fish hook hanging out the side of my lip?

The wood is good. The problem is that once you've gone wood, you won't want anything else.

I have LSC, Mark III, and 2x12 cabinet all in hardwood. I'm seriously considering heading up to Petaluma
and having Mike B. C+ my other Mark III and drop it into a hardwood while I'm there. It becomes an
illness after a while I think.

Chris... 8)

LSC in Imbuya... again:
Lonestar_Front_2.jpg

Sultone 2x12 Speaker cabinet:
2x12_frontsmall.jpg

Latest posts

Back