Orange Amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Hey all,

I really want to get an Orange amp because I love their tone and I really want that early zeppelin/sabbath tone.

However I dont know which amp would offer me the best in the orange lineup. Is there a quintesential amp that people say 'oh, that's the best orange out there' or what?

So far I think the two I'm deciding between are the AD30 (which I played for about 10 seconds at namm and loved it) and the Rocker 30.

I want class A power naturally, and both have 30 watts. However the AD30 uses EL84(4 of them) and the Rocker has EL34(2 of them).

Which do you think would give me the tone I'm after?

Platypus said:
Hey all,
early zeppelin/sabbath tone.

www.electricamps.com - Company that specializes in high wattage Matamp/Orange designs.

www.matamp.co.uk - Company that specializes in lower wattage amps (they dropped their high wattage stuff awhile ago).

Otherwise, the AD-30 is more classically orientated. The Rockerverb is a bit more modern sounding....I personally don't like it.

screamingdaisy said:
Platypus said:
Hey all,
early zeppelin/sabbath tone.

www.electricamps.com - Company that specializes in high wattage Matamp/Orange designs.

www.matamp.co.uk - Company that specializes in lower wattage amps (they dropped their high wattage stuff awhile ago).

Otherwise, the AD-30 is more classically orientated. The Rockerverb is a bit more modern sounding....I personally don't like it.

Thanks for the links, I've seen matamps before which is what Page used if I remember correctly. Is there an orange in the current production lineup that will give me that matamp sound? In your opinion is the AD30 close or not even close at all?

Reason being I want to be able to play it before I buy it. Does the 'brit' channel on the Road King come close to the tone I'm after?

Koprofag said:
www.matamp.co.uk
you shouldn't have done that. i saw the GTL and had to purge 100 million hopeful children from sin. now i'm trying to convince myself that some random stoner band couldn't afford the orange and bought the matamp instead. they got somewhat famous in the genre, like electric wizard or sleep, and the 2nd choice amp company took their fair share out of it and proclaimed themselves king of stoner rock. in reality however, i like masturbation. :)

i fully nominate this post for craziest post of the year.

Platypus said:
Thanks for the links, I've seen matamps before which is what Page used if I remember correctly. Is there an orange in the current production lineup that will give me that matamp sound? In your opinion is the AD30 close or not even close at all?

The closest is the AD series. The Matamp GTO/GTL is basically an old late 60s/early 70s Orange design (when they were still the same company), so if you're going for that vintage Orange sound, you'd be better off with either a real vintage Orange, or a Matamp.

the 'brit' channel on the Road King come close to the tone I'm after?

No.

screamingdaisy said:
Platypus said:

The closest is the AD series. The Matamp GTO/GTL is basically an old late 60s/early 70s Orange design (when they were still the same company), so if you're going for that vintage Orange sound, you'd be better off with either a real vintage Orange, or a Matamp.

the 'brit' channel on the Road King come close to the tone I'm after?

No.

Figured about the RK.. as far as the AD30, will it be 90% of what I'm after? Less? Problem is I dont want to buy an amp I cannot play first so I dont want to order a Matamp :\

Man that Matamp GTL looks ridiculously sweet. Do you think that is the sound I am looking for screamingdaisy?

It'd be like 2k to import it from the UK, which is about 300 more what I was going to pay for a stock orange.. but I can customize this entire Matamp it looks like.

Hello 'Green' faceplate!

The AD series will get you most of the way there.

Listen to the soundclips on the Electric Amp site.....it's more or less the exact same sound as a Matamp, though the clips are definatly focused on targeting stoner bands.

screamingdaisy said:
The AD series will get you most of the way there.

Listen to the soundclips on the Electric Amp site.....it's more or less the exact same sound as a Matamp, though the clips are definatly focused on targeting stoner bands.

I'll try out the AD30 again then.

As far as electric amp, I much prefer the lower wattage ones since that would be more vintage and what I'm after. I don't need 140 Watts :p

The 80 on the matamp is perfect if not a bit too much.

Latest posts

Back