options for 4xEL34 with Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep

Reaction score
rabies said:
I really like the class A KT77 sound with the JMP-1 + mark iv (or straight up Mark iv for that matter).

I know about the THD yellowjackets. What other options do I have to go 4xEL34(family) tubes with a mark IV??

I've heard others say on here that if you re-tube 6L6 (e.g. inner tubes in mark IV) with EL34 tubes it will sound very bad.

that class A sound (and some argue whether or not it's truly class A) is sick and thick! love it.

so anybody tried EL34 outside sockets and yellowjackets inner sockets with mark IV?

how will yellowjackets work with a mark iv combo (hanging down?)

for me the mk IV is very toppy and tight on the bottom.. so tubes like the 6L6 is prefect.. the El34 is known for making an amp tighter and more toppy so if you think you will like the sound of that and can get tubes which can run in the middle pair give it ago..

rabies said:
that's a good point. well I just wanted to experiment to see how it sounds. and the YJ's ain't too cheap...

You should pay Eurotubes.com a visit. JJ's IMO are the best tubes in the market. One of the few tube makers if not only one, that does not make their tubes in China or Russia. Made in Europe in the old Tesla factory.

Jarrod said:
Made in Europe in the old Tesla factory.

Not really. The old Tesla factory is in the Czech Republic; J/J is in Slovakia and bought some tooling from Tesla when the country split after the end of the cold war.

J/J makes some good tubes and some OK tubes, but they have some of the worst QC. If you get them from someone who tests them, burns them for at least 24 hours, and makes sure they don't have undersized pins, you'll be fine.

The overall best QC is New Sensor...whether or not you like the way they sound, they've got the most consistent stuff.

AdmiralB said:
The overall best QC is New Sensor...whether or not you like the way they sound, they've got the most consistent stuff.

But new sensor is just a dealer, their not a tube maker. Just like Eurotubes.

With that said, I perfer JJ's over Sevtlana, Sovtek, Sino, and electic harmonix. Have not tried Mullards, or Tesla's, but some of JJ tubes are engineered to replicate mullards, and the rest are essentially Tesla's in a way.

Jarrod said:
AdmiralB"} But new sensor is just a dealer said:
Again, not really. Mike Matthews - owner of New Sensor - also owns the Reflektor factory in Russia where their tubes are made. He has some experts from the 'old days' of US production on his payroll, and that's why their stuff keeps getting better and better.

rabies said:
www.newsensor.com is interesting. lots of random stuff on there as well (JJ tubes too!) they're the maker of EH tubes.

EH, Sovtek, Mullard, Svetlana and Tungsol.
He may have bought the Genalex name too.
No bad for a guy from Brooklyn.

Jarrod said:
rabies said:
that's a good point. well I just wanted to experiment to see how it sounds. and the YJ's ain't too cheap...

You should pay Eurotubes.com a visit. JJ's IMO are the best tubes in the market. One of the few tube makers if not only one, that does not make their tubes in China or Russia. Made in Europe in the old Tesla factory.

I am on the other side of the fence. I will never use another JJ product if I dont have too. The older 6L6's had pins that were too small ( blew screen resistors on my 5150 :roll: ), the EL-34's sound flubby and the 12AX7's sound very sterile and lifeless. Of course this is my opinion, but it is based on a lot of tubes, not just trying one or two. :?

psychodave said:
I will never use another JJ product if I dont have too.

I'm in this boat too. Some of their stuff is really good, some if it is terrible. But they're a very arrogant company, putting out a LOT of tubes with out-of-spec pins, knowing full well that that was the case.

Latest posts

Back