Opinions on My new/old 50 Caliber

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auburnshredder

Reaction score
Picked up a 50 Caliber+ w/eq today and have been checking out the "guts" a bit.

I had a 50 caliber before, but this version is different. My previous amp was 6L6 and had a Black Shadow branded Celestion (maybe a V30?).

This amp is EL84 and has an absolute beast of a speaker, which I believe is an EVM 12L. The speaker itself weighs almost 18 pounds!! Is this one of those holy grail EVMs??

I am used to more simple tube set ups. then this...
(5) 12ax7 preamp; (4) EL84 power amp

Two Electro Harmonix 12ax7A in the first two sockets (master volume side, V1 and V2 ???) Other three are Mesa STR 12ax7a. Power tubes are all Mesa GBQ5
Can't be a stock setup with the EH tubes

Anyone familiar with this set up??

$300 !! Did I get a deal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was the .50 Cal+ amps that had the 6L6s, and the .50 Cal (non-plus) amps that used EL84s. $300 is a killer deal for that. I paid $550 for my Studio .22, non-plus, with no EQ. Congrats man.

Whoopysnorp said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was the .50 Cal+ amps that had the 6L6s, and the .50 Cal (non-plus) amps that used EL84s. $300 is a killer deal for that. I paid $550 for my Studio .22, non-plus, with no EQ. Congrats man.

Yeah, I am pretty happy. The mid pot was snapped off, but I called Petaluma and they are shipping me a replacement.

Hell yeah, you got a deal. I think those Caliber .50 with quartet EL84s are not as common as the pair of 6L6s version.

Then top it off EVM-12L. Yes, I think those are one of the most sought after EVM if I'm not mistaken.

Whoopysnorp said:

You are not wrong, the amp described here is not the plus(+) version but the original 50 Cal.

kekam35 said:
Whoopysnorp said:

You are not wrong, the amp described here is not the plus(+) version but the original 50 Cal.

Interesting, because it definitely has the EQ and does have EL84's ??

The '+' never referred to the presence of absence of the graphic EQ; that was an optional feature on both the non-plus and plus models, just like on the Mark amps. I'm sure there are .50 Caliber+ amps out there without the EQ.

auburnshredder said:
kekam35 said:
Whoopysnorp said:

Interesting, because it definitely has the EQ and does have EL84's ??

The plus refers to the 6L6 models.

Back