Opinions: Best way to find your favorite tone? Settings/EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Reaction score
So I was wondering what some of yall think is the best way to go about it.

I've heard to start with all the knobs on 5 and then build off of that.

Or is it better to start off everything at 0?

I've got graphic EQ on my amp too.

So maybe starting with all the EQ's flat?

Just wondering what ways some of yall went about finding your favorite tones for your amp.

I generally like a sound that is a little scooped so Im guessing the mid slider on the EQ should go down (as a given)

cheeers

i've heard some poeple record a guitar track direct to board (or whatever portastudio/computer setup you have) and then output the signal to the amp and play with the settings while the track is playing. i havn't tried it myself but the idea seems solid. I think that's how Gilmour did the solo for another brick in the wall.

With Mesas, I've always taken the easy cheesy sleazy way out and started with the suggested settings in the user's manual. That usually gets me in the ballpark, and sometimes even gets me a home run.

RB

I start with all my eq flat, I start bringing up the highs till they sound pleasing to the ear, then i go to mids and lows. Once i get a tone I am digging, i move on to my graphic eq, and just use it to tweak the great tone I have dialed in on the main eq of the amp. I basically use the graphic to add color to the over all tone, I make sure I play the same kinda stuff I would normally be playing on the amp, and I make sure I listen to the cab standing up, sitting down, at a close distance and from a few feet away. That way I know what it sounds like from all perspectives, mine, the mic, and the audience. and in my opinion less is always better than more. to much eq can kill a great tone. same goes for effects!

P.S. If your trying to dial in a good live tone, make sure you are playing at a live volume level. If you set the tone while the amp is turned down lower, it is going to sound totally different when the amp is turned up to a good preformance level.

My trick is that I never stop playing with the dials.

Mesa eqs are almost like an insturment in themselves. To use an analogy, if you only work on you're vibrato every few months, well....it might sound ok, but it won't get much better....

So, keeping in mind the above I'm always playing the the knobs, and as I do it I learn how the knobs interact and affect each other.....I learn how to play my amp.

Other than that, I go through all the manuals suggested settings....which is actually something I do a couple times a year, just to see if there's anything interesting that happens (and it usually does).

P.S. - If you like a scooped tone, try boosting the mids on the knobs, then scoop using the graphic EQ. You'll keep the good attack dynamics of a mid boosted tone, but still have that heavy, scooped chug I suspect you're after.

I set the tone with the gain channel on and the EQ off. I turn each knob up till there is jump in the volume. It feels like the amp is doing what it wants. The amp is at it's most responsive setting there. This typically happens with the treble and mids set fairly high and the bass low. I then set the EQ for a third channel scooped metal sound. I end up with a pretty good 3 channel amp which I like.

When trying to "cop" a tone, I start with which channel best serves it. It's not always clear at first. Then I get the basic gain structure with the knobs. Then on to the EQ (if necessary).
Like boogiebabies says, you may run high mids, and lesser treble, and almost "0" bass on the knobs, but will give fatter tone and better attack when you bring it all back in the EQ section, post...
I sometimes use very hot settings in the clean channel for Jimi, and sometimes I use very tame lead settings for Jimi. Depends on the song...
But I will say, it's always good to keep some kind of overdrive, for a clean boost in any channel. With my TS9/808, I can take the 3 channels on my Mark III, and turn them into 2 separate channels, or go over the top for leads when using a chugging rhythm tone in the lead channel.Brings back alot of mids....
ax. 8)

Latest posts

Back