OK, put a Celestion Blue in the LSS....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickc007

Reaction score
Wow !
totally different animal, difference is night and day

"liked" the other speaker, but was missin some top end sparkle

The Blue sure does sparkle, and really adds some dimension
Now I know what they mean by harmonically rich
Really a BIG difference, different amp altogther

love it so far, obviously it isn't broken in yet, only got
one hour of playin time.

Really curious why a C90 came with this amp
90watt power rating and heavily doped
the 5 watts really didn't get it movin, even though it does
produce a nice warm sound

either way, I don't think the Blue is ever comin outta this guy
Could dial in some very Fender/Vox like tones
and some really raucous blues tones,

after I air it out some more, maybe I'll try to do some clips

Hey Rick,

Thats good to hear. So you think it made a great improvement?

(I ask, becuase i get my Tone Tubby tomorrow (Fingers crossed for UPS))

For me, Definately !

it sounds outrageous

I actually called Mesa Boogie and asked why
they used such a heavy duty speaker
And they said they tried a bunch of them and lots
of the AlNiCo speakers

They felt the C90 was the most versatile

I only play at home, and not that loud
Thus the Blue is awesome, the C90 wasn't really
breathing, specially on the top end

The swap really opened up a different dimension to this amp
I'm really blown away by the change

Almost went for the tone tubby myself, congrats :)

Rickc007

Thanks for posting your results.

I too wasn't totally crazy about the C90 even though it is a fine speaker. Most Mesa customers like heavier distorted sounds, and the C90 suites these sounds with its rolled off highs to eliminate raspiness, particularly in open back cabinets I think. It was probably a no brainer for Mesa, who already purchases the C90 for open-back Rectos, LSCs etc. to use it for the LSS.

I ended up with an Eminence Patriot RW&B, but now you have tempted me to try the Celestion Blue or Gold.

Do you live anywhere near Boston Mass, San Diego CA or Dallas or Austin TX?

I have a LSS head and use it with my Avatar cab (v30 and G12H). If I changed one of these to a Blue do you think it would sound weird?

I don't know what it is but EL84s just work great with alnico magnet speakers whether they're Celestion Blues, Weber Blue Dogs, Red Fangs or Tone Tubby.

Autocrat said:
I have a LSS head and use it with my Avatar cab (v30 and G12H). If I changed one of these to a Blue do you think it would sound weird?

I can let you know really soon....a least somewhat

I do have a V30 in another cab, and after talking to Mesa
a good combination is one 8 ohm speaker in each of
the main jacks in the back, they are 4 ohm match

thus I will be hookin mine up that way
I think it would be a nice mix

they won't be in the same cab...but the general idea is there
will let you know at least by this weekend

Autocrat said:

The synergy between an amp and its multiple speaker cabinet is a matter of trial and error when you stray from the norm. You're in your own territory then, and it'll take time and fiddlin. I'd sub the Blue/Gold for a V30, and place it on top so the guitarist gets the most benefit. Give it a hear.

Cheers,
Alejandro

Ducky said:
Hey Rick,

How 'bout posting your results/opinion on the tone tubby. I've been thinking about a weber blue or tone tubby for my LSS 1X12. Also have a mesa 1X12 ext cab, anybody have an opinion as far as maybe the blue in the amp and leave the cab stock? or replace both with the blue or another combination?

Also, ylo, do you like the R, W & B?

Mick said:
Ducky said:
Hey Rick,

How 'bout posting your results/opinion on the tone tubby. I've been thinking about a weber blue or tone tubby for my LSS 1X12. Also have a mesa 1X12 ext cab, anybody have an opinion as far as maybe the blue in the amp and leave the cab stock? or replace both with the blue or another combination?

Also, ylo, do you like the R, W & B?

UPS is scheduled to arrive today :)

I'm keeping my amp stock, and built a 1x12 to hold the Tone Tubby. It has a removable back (As most people with the TT seem to prefer open backs)

I'll let you know what I prefer and hopefully post some clips to show the comparisons.

Cheers

I've got an Avatar 2-12"semi-open back cab with a pair of Celestion Blues in it and of all my cabs it's definately my favorite. IMO the Blues are just the best guitar speakers made. Can't wait to get one of the new Celestion Gold's.

Had a couple of days with the Tone Tubby. At TV volume there is a moderate improvement. But when you get above 9:30, wow, It’s more defined and responsive. It’s a totally different beast. They say it sounds even better when it breaks in, I find that hard to believe. (And am pumped as hell to when that happens)

I find the biggest improvement is on ch1. It’s hard to think this amp needs a better clean, but wow. It’s so hard to describe the improvement. Much more 3D, and thick. I found I had to keep the base lower with the black shadow, but doesn’t fart out at all with the TT.

I bet the Blue/Weber and TT are in same league, and in my opinion. It’s a no-brainer adding it to the LSS. It made an already great amp, sound a lot better.

ylo said:
Rickc007

I ended up with an Eminence Patriot RW&B, but now you have tempted me to try the Celestion Blue or Gold.

Don't forget the Eminence Red Fang, their take on the Celestion Blue. Alnico, thirty watts, sixty peak, and $150.

Ducky said:
Had a couple of days with the Tone Tubby. At TV volume there is a moderate improvement. But when you get above 9:30, wow, It’s more defined and responsive. It’s a totally different beast. They say it sounds even better when it breaks in, I find that hard to believe. (And am pumped as hell to when that happens)

I find the biggest improvement is on ch1. It’s hard to think this amp needs a better clean, but wow. It’s so hard to describe the improvement. Much more 3D, and thick. I found I had to keep the base lower with the black shadow, but doesn’t fart out at all with the TT.

I bet the Blue/Weber and TT are in same league, and in my opinion. It’s a no-brainer adding it to the LSS. It made an already great amp, sound a lot better.

Sounds like you like it so far.... good for you, that's a good chunk of cash to put out hoping you like it. Did you get their standard H1E cone or the H1EDD cone that is described as "brightest hempcone, with glassy highs"?
I'm planning on ordering one tomorrow and would like to know what the difference is. Also, where did you get your's?

Enjoy! and keep us posted as it breaks in. Thanks, Mick

now that this thread is several weeks old, those of you that made changes... worth it?? what do you like??

i just swapped the c90 for a celestion gt12-75, and it sounds about identical to the C90...

the amp sounds much better through a closed back 2x12, either with greenbacks or vintage 30s, but i want to take the combo amp to gig, not a combo amp and a cabinet

Guy,

I just did a post on the GenzBenz Black Pearl 30. That comes with the Eminence Red Fang Alnico 30 watt speaker in it. (30 watt amp, 30 watt speaker. Hmmmmm, must be a new concept.)

You absolutely did the right thing! You have to MATCH a speaker to the power of the amp.

It had to blow you away when you heard the difference with the "Blue"
in there.

Now, all Mesa has to do is "open their eyes and their ears." They should at least offer an alnico speaker as an option at an additional cost.

Hey Mesa, let us make the decission!

YOU REALLY DID GOOD! Enjoy your "new amp."

good post

i just saw your equipment list..

i had recently demoed a g&L legacy (SSH) through a black black pearl, and was about trade stuff in and buy the guitar and amp there on the spot

the only thing about the pearl i didn't like was one channel...but your speaker suggestion is right on...

i'm gonna try a few more speakers that i have around here, if if that doesn't work, go with your suggestion... the power issue of the celestion blue concerns me, and the gold hasn't been convincing yet

I wound up with a Weber alnico 30W Blue Dog in the LSS and an alnico 30W Silver Bell in a matching Mesa cab.

I'd be happy with either one of them as my sole speaker, the Blue has slightly better highs and the silver has bottom that doesn't even begin to fart out. Together they're perfect. Sweet smooth 3D and in my case I find that channel 2 is much better now for slightly dirty, greasy but still articulate swamp tone than with the original Celestion. Something I noticed is that with the C90's; when I'd plug in the cab the difference in sound was there(bigger, fuller) but not really pronounced. When I plug in the cab now the difference is striking, louder, just bigger overall. Could this be due to using 30W speakers instead of 90W?

Also, in defense of the stock LSS, if it wasn't for this board/internet and the info RE: speakers/tubes etc, I'd be totally tickled playin' thru my out of the box Lone Star Special. But...... I'd still like to play it thru a 2X12 loaded with Celestion blues, or 1 or 2 Golds, and I'd really like an ACE! Help!!!! :D

I have made the switch to a Celestion Blue in my LSS a couple of months ago and I am totally happy with it. The sound is more open and dynamic, with a tight bass. The change has improved the sound vs. the C90 both for clean and distorted settings. In comparison, a Vintage 30 had too much emphasis on the mids and to my taste did not fit well to the LSS. (On the other hand, I have been playing Vintage 30s in a Rectifier 4x12 and I loved them in that cabinet.)

Please keep in mind that a single Celestion Blue should not be run with more than 15 watts, I use a Mesa 1x12 open back cabinet with another Celestion Blue if I need more volume.

Besides changing speakers, replacing the valves can do a lot to improve your tone, the most impact in my amp had the swith to a Mullard 12AX7 long plate in the V1 position. There are other threads with a lot of valuable information on that topic in this forum.

kulibu

Back