Ok, before I sell the Triple I'm gonna give it one last shot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StratTone

Reaction score
Give me some of your tips. First I'll say that I'm mostly a Blues Strat guy that plays Fender amps pushed with pedals but I do love all sounds and started my guitar life playing Ozzy stuff. I really just picked up the Triple because the price was right. I also own 4 Marshalls, a 5150 and like 7 Fenders and the only amp that I can't get at one I like on is my Triple. So give me some advice.......(I have read the manual) My biggest complaint is the gain is just VERY VERY grainy, flabby bass, and sterile sound so shoot away. I'm playing it through either the 5150 slant, 1960AX, 1960AV, and a 1960A. Tubes are 6 JJ 6L6's and I've tried several different preamp tubes ranging from Jan Phillips, JJ, Sovtek, Tungsol, Groove Tubes. Retifier tubers are the stock 5U4's.

The Rectifier may not be "your" amp. If you've tried different pre tubes, EQ settings variations and still can't find it or like it try something else.

You might be much happier with a Lonestar or a Mark series Mesa.

my .02

Well I do think it isn't my thing but I'm going to put the bias correct and probably go from there.

+1 on the lonestar, especially if your doing the blues/strat thing. What are the settings that you are using for your triple?

Johnson said:
+1 on the lonestar, especially if your doing the blues/strat thing. What are the settings that you are using for your triple?

Well I have my fender thing down but I play Les Paul Classic through my Triple.

ThunderMonkey said:
StratTone said:
Well I do think it isn't my thing but I'm going to put the bias correct and probably go from there.

What do you mean "put the bias correct", your personal bias towards the amp OR amp tube bias, as you know Mesa's are fixed bias. :wink:

Yeah I know it is fixed but I can change that. ;-)

i have el34s in my dual recto and it sounds more tight. keep the bass down and the gain down.it is a very good amp but give it a chance

+1 on trying a Recto cab with it. With everything else, it's just one more thing right? :D

Try this...vintage mode, bold, vacuum tubes, gain at about 12, bass at about 10:30, Mid 1 , Treble 12, Presence 1-2, crank the volume and roll the volume back on your guitar a little, adjust tone controls on the guitar to taste and see what shakes loose.

Cool, I'll give the El34s a try. I would get a Mesa cab but I already have a Marshall 1960AV which is a Mesa cab except for the crappy mdf back which makes a difference yes but isn't going to cure what I don't like about his amp. To be honest I guess I know deep down that I don't like this amp and should sell it but I have this feeling that later on down the line (knowing my luck) people will be dieing to have a triple recto for some reason and be paying big bucks for them and I sold it. lol

Right now for my rock tastes I am loving either my JCM 800 2204 or my Marshall 1959 SLP (with MM choke, OT, bias mod, bright cap) for my heavier needs. I hate to say it but my JCM 900s even beat out my Mesa. Not that Im saying the Mesa sucks but it just isn't my thing and that is weird because I am one of those guys that says you can make just about anything sound good and I'm not paticular to a certain brand or anything. My 5150 kills and the only thing I did to it was put a 5751 in V1 and do a bias mod. Another reason I haven't sold it is because (as you can see) I really don't need anything else to replace it and I would rather have a Mesa gathering dust then some money sitting in the bank. lol

Dude, I hear you because I'm just like you. I've tried to "Love" the Dual Rec series from the solo head to the Roadster & Road Kings. But in the end, for the sound and touch that I demand in an amp, they do "SucK' for me. Go with your gut, ditch the gear you don't like, and be happy with what you do "Love" whether it be a $50 Crate or a Vintage JCM Whatever!

peace,
-d

jesserides2005 said:
Dude, I hear you because I'm just like you. I've tried to "Love" the Dual Rec series from the solo head to the Roadster & Road Kings. But in the end, for the sound and touch that I demand in an amp, they do "SucK' for me. Go with your gut, ditch the gear you don't like, and be happy with what you do "Love" whether it be a $50 Crate or a Vintage JCM Whatever!

peace,
-d

Very good point but what else do I need.............. :lol:

For a completely different perspective on the Recto try this:

In Raw mode turn the output all the way up. Turn the gain as far down
as it will go while still producing a suitable volume of sound. Set the tone
controls something like this:

Treble 2:00
Mid 12:00
Bass 10:00
Presence 11:00

Playing single notes with low to medium power you should get a very thick
but relatively clean tone. A beautiful light gain halo kind of surrounds the
attack of the notes. As you play with more power or use double stops or
chords you'll bring in distortion but not an obnoxious distortion.

You can add gain and concurrently drop the output level to taste from
there. This setting sounds wonderful with an open back cabinet and brings
in a strong vintage character.

Latest posts

Back