Oh man.... My speaker is blown!! **** See newer post ****

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Well, I got my (used - but new to me) Rectoverb last week and played with it last weekend and it sounded pretty good, but just wasn't as "thumping " as I expected but I thought it was just because I was used to my Triple Rectifier. Then this weekend I played with it again and my sound man asked me if something was wrong with my amp (he's a tube amp repair man too) and he asked me to chunk on it and do a few other things and...... at first he asked me how old my tubes were and I said I just got them 2 days ago, he then said he thought something was wrong with my amp because it was "crapping" out and didn't really have any bass or definition when playing rythm. I then remembered that I had my 2x12 extension cab in my trunk and so I grabbed it and plugged it in just for S&G's...... and it sounded AMAZING, it sounded beefier than my Triple Rectifier though the same cab. We then decided it was my speaker that was "crapping" out.

I really can't afford to get a new speaker right now since I just shelled out $950 for this amp and I really think it got damaged in shipping, but it's too late to file a claim on the shipping.

I pulled out the speaker earlier today and I can't really see anything wrong with it, but it does have a couple of dents in it and a small crease where it looks like something rubbed against it, but I don't see any rips or tears. Is there a way to test this speaker to see if it's good?

In the mean-time, a buddy of mine has a Peavey Scorpion speaker he said I could have..... How do you think this will sound?? Also, should I get the original speaker repaired or buy the same kind of speaker to replace it? Or what is a good, lower priced, speaker that will make my Rectoverb II sing???

I'm so sad :(

I'd get a stock replacement. The speakers that Celestion builds for Mesa are built to specific specs that are higher than their "over the counter" models.

Until then, I'd leave the Rectoverb unloaded and just lug the 2x12 until you can afford a replacement speaker.

As for testing, I push the cone in and out and feel for a smooth throw with no internal grating (ie, the voice coil rubbing against the driver) and check for damage and tears in the cone and spider (the corregated thing between the cone and the basket). But honestly, if the amp tech says it's dead, there's a good chance it's dead whether you can see it or not.

tele_jas said:
Is there a way to test this speaker ... Peavey Scorpion speaker he said I could have..... How do you think this will sound?? (

Semi-accurate speaker test : touch a 9-volt battery to the speaker terminals. Polarity one way should push the cone out, rev polarity will suck the cone in. If the cone doesnt move spkr is blown.

Peavy Scorpions sound like ***. Compared to a BLOWN speaker it will sound great. Use the freebie and save your $ to get a better one.

What if it's going to be a while until I get enough money to get another exact replacement Black Shadow speaker...... What other speaker would sound good in this amp? I've done a search and found everyone recommends Celestions, but which ones? There are soooooo many different ones out there - 30s, 50s, 80s, Greenbacks, ect... I found a Celestion Seventy/80 for $43 on ebay, are these good??
What about any speakers out there that would sound good for around $50? I know you get what you pay for, but I can only get what I can pay for right now.

I beleive a new Black Shadow is listed for $109 at the Boogie web sight. I wouldn't settle for used when they are that cheap.

Latest posts

Back