OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a nice fat fluid tone in channel 2, EQ must be on, diodes in the back, place a little bit delay in the loop to
picture295f.jpg

Mark 1 thick (or normal)
Crunch mode

needs allot of volume !!!!

try playing sweet child of mine intro ;-)

picture296.jpg

there is too much bass dialed in for the mk1 mode, but for crunch sure it works fine!
cheers

Hi Everbody!

Got a Mark V since Monday - Great Amp!
Now i've been searching for some good Pennywise-Settings for the Mark.
Anyone has an idea? Sound should be good for Full Circle / From the Ashes Stuff!

THX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI0iksEoNCk

10 watt mode, Pentode, Extreme, Bright, Full power.

Gain: 3 O'clock
Treb: 2 O'clock
Mid: 3 O'clock
Bass: 9 30
Master 10 O'clock
Pres: Full whack

Sliders:
80hz:Full whack,
240: 8/10
750: 2.5/10
2200: 7/10
6600: 9/10

(With the combo's 1x12, plus 2x12 Horizontal recto cab)

My favorite flavor currently. Full power, pentode, through a marshall 1960 with greenbacks. Using a Les Paul with a 57 classic plus bridge:

P5300001.jpg

P5300005.jpg

A little different direction than a lot of players here, but I like it :D

Holy balls thats a lotta mids! :lol:

Those settings are so different than anything I have seen before I am gonna have to try that out sometime

Mostly rhythm. I'm not sure how these setting would sound with other speaker combos. I think paired with v30's it might not be a good combo. I saw a picture of Keith Richards with a mark I and the eq set with some crazy high mids and a huge bass cut. Not sure if this is a setting he actually used, but I figured hey I can move some sliders and at least give it a try.

I'm wondering if you guys could suggest me a good Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold kind of tone. Right now I'm trying something:

Channel 3:
Mark IV Mode
Pentode
Treble: 2:30
Mid: 1:30
Bass: 9:30
Presence: 2:30
Master: 9:30
Output: 10:30 to open it up
GEQ on
80hz is almost on the top line, 240hz is raised about 1/2 up, 750hz is halfway down, 2200hz is 1/3 of the way up and 6600hz is a tiny bit above 2200hz.

Running it through a V30 4x12 using EMG 81.
Any suggestions to improve the tone would be great. The City of Evil album used Bogners (Uberschall).

Alrighty, So I was listening to some Metallica this past week and decided today to dial in a somewhat closely accurate Metallica tone out of the Mark V. Now, keep in mind, I say somewhat, as I have EL34's in my amp, and am playing though a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with V30's. Guitar I used to dial it in, was an Ibanez SZ 2020 Prestige with stock pickups (which turned out to be a Duncan Distiortion in the bridge). Now, If i really wanted to get more accurate, I could have whipped out the explorer, or my Eclipse with emg's, but, well. I didn't.

So Check this out, and I dialed it in with the EQ on, and on Sliders, then when I was done, flipped it to Preset and it got louder and more aggressively gain structure, so dial both in, and see if which works for ya. Think Sliders for accuracy, Preset for fun.
Mark II C+ mode, Loop on for Output control, originally dialed in on 45w, but then switched to 90w to finish. Try both!
I'd be interested in hearing how this sounds different in an amp with 6L6's...
Song eq'd to, Metallica's Master of Puppets.
masterofpuppets.jpeg

OK I'm going to ask you what's your best setting for chugging (thrash not beer drinkin'). I'm a palm muting freak. Do you scoop it, what do you do? Just askin'

Jacko123 said:
OK I'm going to ask you what's your best setting for chugging (thrash not beer drinkin'). I'm a palm muting freak. Do you scoop it, what do you do? Just askin'

Try my Metallica settings above, them turn up the gain a bit.

But keep in mind, this all depends on your tubes. You may have to EQ to taste.

I had the misfortune of discovering one of my very expensive Mesa STR450's was bad tonight, so I pulled them out, and replaced them with JJ EL34L's, and the tone is very different. Tighter, Cleaner, less...midrange perhaps...not sure...more gainy, and I'm not so sure this is a good thing. I think the JJ's work magnificently for Recto's, but not so much for the Mark V. Gonna have to try the Winged C's now.

Jacko123 said:

im drunk and im gona try my best lol

first off what guitar, and tuneing are you playing in...this is a major concern due to bass freq.

If your going with your normal 6 string detuned to c or b or w.e then what you want is you bass around 10-11 oclock, mids at about noon, treb at about 2 then put your pres and gain at about 1-1:30 and put output to taste. Next go to your geq and do your typical "v" shape but then bring your mid nob to about half maybe a bit less and put ur bass to taste and there ya go also look at a a overdrive or tubescreamer to give yeah a bit more grit and grind before the preamp

Thanks guys. I got there by doing the a very aggressive V on the EQ. Got a nice chugging with that. That has the most impact.

By the way, I mostly play on a les paul type guitar that has EMGs and a Gisbon Robot SG with the stock pickups. I usually play either Drop D or Standard tunings.

I'll keep playing and eventually post my own settings.

IMG_4438-1.jpg

Channel 1 (Tweed/EQ OFF/90w) is set up to be mostly clean for single notes with some clipping on chords. I like the bold on because it makes the clean sound... well.. bolder. Sometimes I'll drop this into 45w/tube if I want a bit more of a vintage clip/sag.

Channel 2 (Crunch/EQ FS/90w) is my rhythm channel and the gain knob moves from around 11:00 to 3:00 depending on what I'm playing. The preset EQ is also used via the footswitch depending on if I want any scoop or not.

Channel 3 (Mk IV/EQ On/90w Triode) is combined with the G-EQ to give me my lead voice.

Out front is a Dime Wah dialled in to give me a Jerry Cantrell sort of wah tone and a Vibe or Phase 90 for some swirl when I need it.

Current low volume practice settings:
All in 10 watt mode (so channels 1 and 2 use tube rectifier)
variac mode
I have an RFT in V1, Tung Sol in V2, EI in V3, and Jan GE 5751 in V7

Channel 1:
Fat, bold
G: 11, M: 11, P: 1, T: 12, M: 1, B: 12
preset EQ: 1
with spring reverb

Channel 2:
crunch
G: 5, M: 11, P: 11, T: 1, M: 3, B: 11
preset EQ: 11

Channel 3:
Mark IV, bright, pentode
G: 5, M: 11, P: 11:30, T: 1: M: 1, B: 11
preset EQ: 1
or use sliders with a slight V.

I sometimes add a boost to channel 2 to push it into metal territory, and I sometimes use a boost for extra sustain on channel 3 during leads.

With my current tube selection, diming the gain on channel 3 but turning the treble down (recall that treble adds gain) creates a heavy but not mushy sound.

I just discovered a really cool fuzzy doomy sound

Channel 2
Edge mode
45 watts
GEQ was in a V, but messing that could possibly even improve this sound
Gain: 10
Channel Volume: noon
Presence: 1:00
Treble: 11:00
Mid: noon
Bass: 10:00
Neck pickup on the guitar with the tone knob rolled ALL the way back :twisted:

Cedrik Menard said:
Hey guys,

All great settings so far but . . .

Is it me or the Mid control is pretty much useless?

I found the mid control to be a great way to add a little break-up into channel 1. Start out in Fat with everything about noon as a starting point, then start cranking the mids up. I keep mine all the way up, and get a better tweed tone doing this than the tweed setting itself (which I'm finding to be a bit too bright so far).

Okay, finally had a chance to try mine out with my band the other night. Sounded great. Settings were pretty different from home playing, but I expected that. Found I had to crank everything to 90 watts to cut through. Sliders were for lead only, which was in triode. The only thing I might do differently next time is turn the channel masters up more so I have more available solo boost.

In case you can't see from the pic, R1=tweed (bold); R2=crunch; R3=Mark IIC+ (bright).

IMG_1185.jpg

Back