Off topic: Modelers - PODxt vs Vox Tonelab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I currently have a PODxt with all 3 model packs installed and it sounds fine but takes forever to tweak the tones but is very versatile.... I tried a Vox Tonelab SE the other day and was blown away by the tones on that thing but that was only for about 45 minutes running into a Fender Deluxe (which I have at home), I thought it sounded better than my PODxt. Does anyone have any expierence with both?? I've got my PODxt listed on ebay right now hoping to sell it to get the Tonelab, but may pull the item if I get convinced to keep it. Someone also mentioned the Johnson J-station?? Which is the best modeler??

Usage?? I plan on using it for recording since I'm married and have kids and my "home stuido" is in the back bedroom across from the kids room..... Otherwise I'd just use my real amps, but it would be kind of hard to use my dual recto right now at 2 am. I also plan on using it live on some occasions where an amp would be overkill for stage volume (like acoustic gigs or christmas parties).

The PODxt has more options (a ton more options), but is also alot harder to tweak. I think the PODxt with the model packs has almost 60 amp models plus 50 stomp box models and tons of effects . The Tonelab has 16 amp models and the standard FX (reverb, delay, modulation FX, ect...).

Tele, I own the desktop version of the Tonelab and have owned the AD60VTX combo and I'm blown away with the ease of good tones that come out of the Vox. I posted in another thread that A/B'd with the ROV, the 60VTX was close enough to be a gig worthy amp. The desktop version is very usable and gives you IMHO the necessary models - Soldano, Rectoverb, 4 decades of Marshall, Fenders and Vox's. The effects are not necessarily the best but are very servicable. My personal opinion is that if tone and getting it easily are your objectives...VOX all the way as far as modelers. Here's a clip of the Marshall tone I recorded using the headphone out to my cheap sound card line in on the PC.

http://richgrace.org/Imwaitingsolo.mp3

if that doesn't work go to this link and click on the song.

http://richgrace.org/music%20clips.htm

tele_jas said:
I currently have a PODxt with all 3 model packs installed and it sounds fine but takes forever to tweak the tones but is very versatile.... I tried a Vox Tonelab SE the other day and was blown away by the tones on that thing but that was only for about 45 minutes running into a Fender Deluxe (which I have at home), I thought it sounded better than my PODxt. Does anyone have any expierence with both?? I've got my PODxt listed on ebay right now hoping to sell it to get the Tonelab, but may pull the item if I get convinced to keep it. Someone also mentioned the Johnson J-station?? Which is the best modeler??

Usage?? I plan on using it for recording since I'm married and have kids and my "home stuido" is in the back bedroom across from the kids room..... Otherwise I'd just use my real amps, but it would be kind of hard to use my dual recto right now at 2 am. I also plan on using it live on some occasions where an amp would be overkill for stage volume (like acoustic gigs or christmas parties).

The PODxt has more options (a ton more options), but is also alot harder to tweak. I think the PODxt with the model packs has almost 60 amp models plus 50 stomp box models and tons of effects . The Tonelab has 16 amp models and the standard FX (reverb, delay, modulation FX, ect...).

That was a modeler?? Wow, my PODxt can't sound that real!! That was a great lead tone and sounded like a real mic'd amp. I'm sold, I'll leave my PODxt on ebay and get the Tonelab. Thanks for the clip!

Ironically, the reason I bought a Mesa was that when I owned the Valvetronix, I would sit around and use the Recto setting for practising and trying to just get good tones (you know, when you're laying back on your couch and think you have the greatest sound in the world :p)
I figured the real thing has to be even better than what I was hearing with the modeler.

tele_jas said:
That was a modeler?? Wow, my PODxt can't sound that real!! That was a great lead tone and sounded like a real mic'd amp. I'm sold, I'll leave my PODxt on ebay and get the Tonelab. Thanks for the clip!

I had one of the cheap Valvetronix amps for a few months (AD30VT) and was pretty impressed with the modeling...though I had to replace the el-cheapo speaker. Anyway, I'm very interested in picking up a desktop Tonelab, but my budget is currently maxed out...so I'm patiently waiting and hoping prices will drop before I'm ready to buy (and using a V-Amp2 in the meanwhile...really not bad for $100, but the Tonelab is significantly better...the best modeler I've ever used!)

Good price on the SE, actually GREAT price on the SE....it is much more elaborate than the desktop version and it's nice to have the foot control aspect already built in. I use the VC-4 foot controller but it is VERY limited compared to either the SE or the VC-12.

tele_jas said:
Thanks guys, I just sold my PODxt for $300 and then bought the Tonelab SE on ebay for $350. I can't wait to get 'er here now!!

Latest posts

Back