OD Pedal for Express 5:50 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp

Reaction score
Given that Blues and Burn mode are not foot switchable I decided to get a pedal to give me either a crunchy blues sound or a more overdriven sound for Santana or Gary Moore type sustain. I have settled on the Carl Martin Hot Drive'n Boost Mark 3 pedal.

What a great choice for this amp.

I use the pedal on the clean channel wih just enough gain get almost exactly the same sound, tone and feel as the blues mode with just the same "clean up as you turn down the guitar" dynamics. Ch 2 is then used on Burn mode to get the boogie style sustain.

There is an added advantage and that is the boost switch on the pedal. Just step on this to get an instant lift in volume for whatever sound you are using. It does not alter the tone in any way - just boosts the signal which can drive the clean mode into a lovely edge.

Being a valve (sorry tube) man I am amazed at how good this pedal is in front of the Express. Give it a try you will not be dissapointed.

I hve the 5:50 1x12 and am amazed how well the Bad Monkey sounds. i use it on the clean and blues setting on the second channel. I'd love to try the Xotic BBE and the new (not out yet)BBE plus, but for $40 BM is real nice pedal IMHO.

I am using the OCD full tone to push the Burn channel a little harder. Makes a very noticeable difference. Like lifting a blanket off the amp.

Sling Blade said:
I am using the OCD full tone to push the Burn channel a little harder. Makes a very noticeable difference. Like lifting a blanket off the amp.

+1 on the OCD. A Greer Sonic Boom doesn't suck either !!!

Latest posts

Back