OD pedal comparision

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I´ve tried the maxon od808 and digitech bad monkey. I like the maxon od 808.it gives you a tighter appereance and more saturated hi gain. good for harmonics. it sounds good with channel 1+2 on the roadster.
maxon od 808 is very transparant and easy to dial. I use it with these settings. gain=0 tone=12 oclock balance=full

Anyone tried both Maxon OD808 and Fulltone OCD? I'm getting a new booster for my dual rectifier to tighten up my high gain rythmsound. Is the OCD worth the extra $ over the OD808? I want to loose the fuzziness on the high frequencies which I have with the bad monkey. I've heard the OD808 doesn't have these problems, does OCD?

To tighten up the DR..........I tried everything ! My personal preference is an MXR 10 band Eq in the fx loop. This is unbelievable and did more than any OD pedal that I could find.

That being said, I of course am an Overdrive pedal junky. I run an Xotic Ac booster all the time. I never shut it off. Before the Ac Booster I run a Maxon Tubescreamer ( analogman silver mod) and sometimes the OCD. They all sound good and I could not pick one for you.

But for the love of God put a good EQ pedal in the loop. !

I think I should mod the fx loop to serial as in my opinion the parallel loop doesn't work that well. I think I'll get the maxon od808 for now. Anyone selling?

ive also heard a lot of good things about the OCD but ive never tried one..here lately ive really been thinkin about sending my sd-1 to keeley and gettin modded

I just picked up a Maxon OD808 off eBay and received it Friday. With only a couple days behind me, I am pretty comfortable in saying it is probably going to stay. It is VERY transparent and sounds great both on my clean channels and dirty channels. I would like to check out a OCD though- just to know what it is like.

Laskyman

I just bought an OCD that I got to reherse with tonight with the band & my F30. It was a huge improvement over my Sparkledrive, which sounds decent with a Strat & Fender Deluxe (it's basically a tubescreamer) but feels too middy for my Mesa & HB guitars.

The OCD felt really full, big & clear bass. It has more gain than the Sparkledrive, but had a great crunchy classic sound at 10:00 or so.

I also sampled a Barber Direct Drive, which has a more even sound & more gain than the Sparkledrive, but I have to say that the OCD just sounded really effing cool.

Highwaytohell said:
The Fulltone OCD is apparantly an amazing pedal. If you want a solo boost, however, I reccomend Xotic pedals. They are AMAZING for boosting.

Definitely. I run my LSC clean the whole time. I run the OCD for rhythms and leave it on most of the time. I roll down on the volume to clean my sound up. I then turn on the BB for a lead boost.

Here are some clips if your interested
http://www.myspace.com/thebluelawsband

actually this is a flavor question, which flavor of ice cream is the best right?

but

ocd is a good choice for good passthrough without to much color added

ts9 808 etc, thins you out and pushes the mids if you are into that sound, or add a mod to smooth it out a bit

mod'd super overdrive by boss, i mod them myself, they sound awesome when upgrading to the burr brown chip etc, i do the Ds1 too, but that is more of an OCD on steroids when done vs overdrive, but both end up with awesome tone and the ability to change the gain structures etc.

but in the end it all depends on the tone you are looking for and like ice cream there are lots of ideas as to which type of tone flavor you like best

Rocky said:
MesaENGR412 said:
Anyone heard anything/tested this pedal?
SFX-04.jpg

Looks pretty wicked, I've never seen one or even heard of it before I found it on Guitar Parts Resource's Website.
I know it's a little different than these, but, I just wanted to know if anyone on here has it or has used it.

-AJH

I have found that Duncan pedals are feast or famine. Most have left me with the feeling of famine.

I own one and love it. Was looking for something to add a little punch to the Hughes and Kettner I owned previous. It is much hotter than their previous version of theirs. I just can't wait to plug it into a real amp, when I get my express 5:50. I would like to see if anyone here has put this up against a fulltone OCD and any recommendations about having either or even both for some serious crunch (until I can get my hands on a double or triple rec down the road). Thanks for the information.

I recently got a 2008 Roadster 2X12 combo and wanted a pedal that provides extra OD boost but not change the distinctive Mesa sound. I got an Ibanez TS808 and I really like it. I have it in front of the amp and with the Kerry King MXR 10-band EQ (in the loop), it sounds great. It gives a nice and smooth overdrive plus extra sustain I was looking for. I tried the Boss OS-2 pedal - but after I got the EQ, it didn't add any useable boost.

Im hooked on running an Xotic RC boost after an Analogman Maxon Ts-9. My Analogman King of Tone will be here in a couple days. Im thinking of making a video with all the different OD's I have just for giggles.

I'm anxious to hear the KOT after waiting 2 years to get my name pulled for one........

I'm using maxon ROD880, it is the 'real tube overdrive' series.
It's got the od808 vibe plus it can get more hard-rock/metal on its own. I put this on top of my single recto and my dsl; the result is awesome ... transparent, warm, it boosts the amp really well.
Also its got its own noise suppressor :D

Analogman King of Tone arrived....

its basically Jesus in a stompbox.

Im a big fan of JC....gonna give us a review? Obviously this isnt a pedal one can test drive at a store out here....eager to hear how you like it and where its strengths are.

Laskyman

im still on honeymoon with the KOT so I don't want to give an opinion until a get a few gigs underneath it. I can say this...... it really lets the sound of your guitar shine through. it does not have as much drive as a tubescreamer in clean or overdrive modes. I have not switched its internal settings to full on distortion yet but I will try it this evening.

I usually favor a maxon tubescreamer into an xotic rc boost. The KOT gives me the same setup since it has the clean boost after the OD. The sustain is Tufnelesque........

I will post a youtube video soon. I have all these pedals I bought blindly because I could not try them out. I wont to do a video demo of 4 or 5 of them to perhaps spare others from buying blindly.

If Jesus plays guitar ( you know he does ) then he's playing a Mesa Mark V with a KOT in front of it.....

If Jesus plays guitar ( you know he does ) then he's playing a Mesa Mark V with a KOT in front of it.....

I know that when He decided to create amps, he definately set the Mesas apart from the pack and took his time....
I am eager to see that KOT vid....

Latest posts

Back