OD pedal comparision

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I play out of a Roadster head and it seems the most popular OD pedals are: BB Preamp, Maxon od808 and TS 808(or Keeley mod). I am curious to hear opinions on these 3 pedals and see which one would work best with the Roadster.
My purpose for an OD pedal would be A) to give Channel 1 Tweed and little xtra gain and B)to use it to enhance channels 3&4. I use Channel 3 for high gain and Channel 4 I turn the gain down for more of a mid crunch.

Thanks

this is a very good topic. I, too, am just as curious as you, because I'm going to buy a Roadster soon and am getting a pedal to run with it.

Other than that, I have no info for you.

The BB is an awsome pedal but I found that it provided just a bit too much gain even at its lowest setting while driving my high gain channel.
I personally think the BB is perfect for use on a fender clean channel used for your main drive. It is a nice pedal.
The ts808 and the od808 are basically the same. Believe it or not,, the maxon od808 is the one who started all of it. The ts808 is the most popular because SRV made it famous,, but at that time maxon made the ts808 labeled as Ibanez.
Out of these three I wound up keeping the Maxon od808. Ive gone through a ton of overdrive pedals both boutique and mass produced and ive pretty much settled on the OCD. Its probably not the very best perfect OD in the universe especially talking to tone snobs but its deffinatly near the very top of the heap,, and for a good price.
The nice thing about the OCD is it doesnt have the mid hump like the 808 series and it keeps your low bottom end intact unlike the 808's which seem to cut the bottom out some.

Now you got me thinking. I have the BB preamp and although it is definitely a good pedal, it does kind of take out the bass and crunch things up more than I would like. I don't my tone to change, just enhanced and creamy. I have tried using the advice of turning the gain all the way down and cranking the volume, but it gets too noisy. I may have to try the OCD although I think I am leaning toward the Maxon OD808.

Just to throw my two cents in: Give the Barber pedals a shot. I love my Barber Direct Drive, it's kind of like a Tubescreamer or 808, but actually has a full frequency response and plenty of EQ and gain. If you need less of a gain push try the Barber LTD. I have a ton of gain pedals like MI Audio, Barber, Boss, Modified Boss, Modified Ibanez, regular Ibanez, Tonebone, etc, and after trying them all with my setup, I settled on the Barber. Now, to be honest with you, that was through a JCM-800, because at this point I don't push my Rectifier, but never the less, give the Barber stuff a try. And the price is right too.

don't miss out on the Barber Direct Drive.

i call it the 'tube screamer killer'

;)

The reviews look great on the Barber. Will it add a lot of grit and take away the low end of my amp? Those are 2 things I don't want and seem to happen with most OD pedals. I want a nice smooth and not harsh tone to come out when I use it whether I'm using the high gain or Channel 1 Tweed.

Anyone heard anything/tested this pedal?
SFX-04.jpg

Looks pretty wicked, I've never seen one or even heard of it before I found it on Guitar Parts Resource's Website.
I know it's a little different than these, but, I just wanted to know if anyone on here has it or has used it.

-AJH

The Maxon Sonic Distortion is a REALLY underrated pedal. I like mine a lot.

MesaENGR412 said:
Anyone heard anything/tested this pedal?
SFX-04.jpg

Looks pretty wicked, I've never seen one or even heard of it before I found it on Guitar Parts Resource's Website.
I know it's a little different than these, but, I just wanted to know if anyone on here has it or has used it.

-AJH

I have found that Duncan pedals are feast or famine. Most have left me with the feeling of famine.

Xotic makes the best sounding pedals I've heard. The AC Boost, DC Boost and the OCD are amazing...especially for that boost/crunch OD sound. For soloing the Barber DirectDrive, the Hermida Zendrive (currently my favorite) the Fulltone Fulldrive or the new Plush Pedals from Fuchs Audio are fantastic. Also the Keeley modded Rat sounds incredible.

You know it's funny....I've gone through a lot of different OD pedals including some "botique" designs and the hands down best one I've ever tried is.....
Guyatone OD2

I know it sounds ridiculous because it's just an el-cheapo pedal but I think it blows the tube screamers out of the water.
Try one out

(standard OD2...not the newer OD2+)

I agree on above comment about BB Preamp being too much gain with a Mesa. I have the lower gain AC and use the gain around 9-11:00 and it's great. The RC is even lower gain and also sounds great.

I love my Maxon OD9 with Analogman's silver Mod.

You can get the same mod on a Ibanez TS9, but Maxxon is true bypass.

Silver mod = more transparent, lacks the midrange hump and keeps your bottom end intact.

Here is a link that describes better than I could. Sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

http://www.analogman.com/ts9silv.htm

jab said:
I agree on above comment about BB Preamp being too much gain with a Mesa. I have the lower gain AC and use the gain around 9-11:00 and it's great.

I just received my BB Preamp today and tried it out tonight for an hour or so. No doubt it can push my Ace head over the top but in a positive sense tone-wise; I'll know better once I have a little more time with it. Right off the bat I definitely like the added bass but overall it is going to need to be tamed down a bit.

This could be a very very good pedal for those with cleaner amps who want that "fluid" sound.

I ended up selling my BB Preamp and bought an OCD and an ISP Decimator pedal. I really like the OCD, and the ISP is a must for anyone putting an OD in front of their high gain amp, in my opinion. Even with the OD off, the ISP takes away a lot of the hiss of the Roadster.

The Fulltone OCD is apparantly an amazing pedal. If you want a solo boost, however, I reccomend Xotic pedals. They are AMAZING for boosting.

Latest posts

Back