nova system vs g system

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatoni

Reaction score
huge price difference but seemingly similar technology. to me the nova seems easier to use so what is missing that would make the g more appealing?

fatoni said:
huge price difference but seemingly similar technology. to me the nova seems easier to use so what is missing that would make the g more appealing?

well i think its the analog drive circuit and the routing options... with the gsystem you can do a 4 cable methed...w ith the nova you cant which i find stupid because if you want to use the drive circuit you have to use the rest of the fx before your amp, basically making your amp purley a power amp.... now if you use the nova system in the loop of your amp you cannot use the drive circuit... someone over at tc didnt really think that part out.... plus what the gsystem can do as far as powering other pedals and it has its own fx loop gives you a more powerful system... i think the nova is making a jump into the boss/zoom/vox tonelab territory with this one except its about 250 more than a boss gt8, zoom g9.2tt, and the tonelab le.... atleast with the other units you can setup the $CM (maybe not the LE)... and the gt8 lets you program its fx loop anywhere in the unit..... i'd say the boss gtpro is a better buy than the nova... then again the fx and drive in the nova are probably better

thanks for all that info. i am just looking for the best effects i can get in one package. i wont need effect loops or distortion. just easy to use quality effects

The line6 m13 looks pretty sweet...and its only $499. Has all the effects from dl4, mm4,fm4, and their distortion pack.

well i think its the analog drive circuit and the routing options... with the gsystem you can do a 4 cable methed...w ith the nova you cant which i find stupid because if you want to use the drive circuit you have to use the rest of the fx before your amp, basically making your amp purley a power amp.... now if you use the nova system in the loop of your amp you cannot use the drive circuit... someone over at tc didnt really think that part out.... plus what the gsystem can do as far as powering other pedals and it has its own fx loop gives you a more powerful system... i think the nova is making a jump into the boss/zoom/vox tonelab territory with this one except its about 250 more than a boss gt8, zoom g9.2tt, and the tonelab le.... atleast with the other units you can setup the $CM (maybe not the LE)... and the gt8 lets you program its fx loop anywhere in the unit..... i'd say the boss gtpro is a better buy than the nova... then again the fx and drive in the nova are probably better[/quote

The Nova is not a modeler so I don't think it's a fair comparison. If you have a clean amp or just use your clean channel you can use the Nova in front just fine. If not you can put it in your loop and use you favorite od/distortion pedal up front. You can also hook up an expression pedal to it and set up the pitch for a whammy pedal or control flanger or any other parameter. I think the TC. effects are a step above what you'll get in the modeling units

wicked1 said:
well i think its the analog drive circuit and the routing options... with the gsystem you can do a 4 cable methed...w ith the nova you cant which i find stupid because if you want to use the drive circuit you have to use the rest of the fx before your amp, basically making your amp purley a power amp.... now if you use the nova system in the loop of your amp you cannot use the drive circuit... someone over at tc didnt really think that part out.... plus what the gsystem can do as far as powering other pedals and it has its own fx loop gives you a more powerful system... i think the nova is making a jump into the boss/zoom/vox tonelab territory with this one except its about 250 more than a boss gt8, zoom g9.2tt, and the tonelab le.... atleast with the other units you can setup the $CM (maybe not the LE)... and the gt8 lets you program its fx loop anywhere in the unit..... i'd say the boss gtpro is a better buy than the nova... then again the fx and drive in the nova are probably better[/quote

The Nova is not a modeler so I don't think it's a fair comparison. If you have a clean amp or just use your clean channel you can use the Nova in front just fine. If not you can put it in your loop and use you favorite od/distortion pedal up front. You can also hook up an expression pedal to it and set up the pitch for a whammy pedal or control flanger or any other parameter. I think the TC. effects are a step above what you'll get in the modeling units

im not comparing it to a modeller just the routing options of the units i mentioned which happen to be modellers... the gsystem which isnt a modeller allows for the 4CM.... i agree the nova is a great unit to be used either in front of the amp using the drive input or in an fx loop just for the tc fx..... but i just dont understand why not build in a way for the 4CM?? it would have been genious because you have a true analog drive circuit to use as a boost or od infront of your amp and the great TC fx in your loop.... i think it would actually steal a lot of the modelling guys who use the gt8s and the tonelab le because the fx are better and your getting an analog drive instead of a digital one..... im not knocking it for what it does i just think there could have been a little bit more in it to make it a stellar unit

what are the effects left out of the nova that are in the g? i have trouble finding that kind of info. im trying to compare them strictly on effects

If you go the TC Electronics homepage and find " Downloads and " you can view the manuals for both the G-System and the Nova. I really enjoy my G-System..., Ciao!

The nova system isn't very interface friendly- I took a hard look at it prior to it hitting the street (last month) and decided to go with stomps. The TC nova "pedal" series can do anything (save od/dis) that the nova system can do (and many things better), but you can put pedals anywhere in your chain. It is ridiculous to have to run a $700 system to the input of your amp.
G system kills the nova system, but you pay for it. In all honesty, you would be better off with a Boss GT series for an all-in-one processor- then you can put ANY effect ANYWHERE you want....

Laskyman

I'd say try to find a good deal on a used g system. I love mine with my Mark IV. It is a whole new experience once you get to use tons of effects and stuff. I still haven't gone through everything on mine, and if you record, you can use the g system as a plug in in your software. I do not know if the nova is capable of that.

Latest posts

Back