Nothin' but MarkIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

Reaction score
With all the talk about pedals and effects around here these days, I got to wondering... does anyone play their MarkIV straight in, with nothing in front but a good ol' guitar?

A little while ago, I decided to undo all my **** out front (TS-8, 7-band EQ, Boss noise gate) and just plug my guitar straight in with a Planet Waves cable. The first thing I noticed was.. holy ****. This amp is quiet. At first I thought there was a connection issue because I couldn't hear a **** thing, but then I smacked a chord and it was fine. I turned it back to standby and plugged all my pedals back in, but I left them all off. I turned the amp on... static, hissing, noise. I was slightly taken aback. I knew that everything added its own noise, but I didn't realize it was this much, especially when all the devices were all off and just carrying the signal from one to another.

I unplugged them all again and went back to straight in. It's been so long since I've played this way, that I almost forgot what it was like. I've grown so used to the sound of all my pedals and I've gotten so into the habit of clicking them all on when I turn on my amp that the tone they produce was the only thing I knew. When I first got my MKIV I played it straight in for a few months, but back then I had no idea what the hell I was doing with this amp. Since then I've joined this board and learned how this beast works.

First thing I noticed... without a pre-pre-amp boost ( TS-8 ), this amp is STIFF. Not that that's bad, but it takes some getting used to. Also, I was able to turn the channel volume louder than I usually do since the signal coming to the amp was a lot colder. I normally ran my lead channel on 1-2 and output at 5 and it was decently loud. Straight in, I had channel up to 3 and output at 5 and it was manageable, standing about 6-7 feet away. This is on full power, simul-class and pentode mode, which, as far as I know, is the highest wattage setting.

As for the tone, it was different, but I liked it. One thing I noticed (and this became brutally apparent in my recordings) with the TS-8 is that it lends far too much high-end information to the signal so when you are playing low down and fast, you can often barely hear the fundamental note, all you can hear is upper-end harmonic content flying all over the place. It sounded OK if you were in the room, but through the mics it translated to ****, basically. Straight in, everything was a lot clearer, even with the gain jacked up pretty high. I usually run my gain at about 8-8.5 and my drive around the same, both pulled, which I would consider to be relatively on the high-end of things. All the music I played suddenly sounded a lot more in your face and when I was ripping through 3, 4, 5 voice chords, I could hear every note that was happening, and they all complimented each other great. The amp lost no tightness, if anything, it became tighter, if that's even possible. I still can't believe how tight this amp is... in certain spots on the fretboard, a good palm-muted note or power chord will basically equate to sonic fists hitting you in the chest.

All in all, I've had good experiences running straight in. I run my 750hz slider a few notches higher than I normally do now, sounds great. And I've toned down the top two sliders a bit, as well. I've only fiddled with the Lead channel so far but I'm gonna have to play through R1 and R2 later tonight or tomorrow. I wanna try some recording as well to see how these new tones translate over the mics.

Anyone else have any good experiences rediscovering their tone or playing straight in? Sometimes it boggles me how much we get caught up tweaking little **** like pedals and getting pedal mods and crap.. does anyone ever take the time to just plug their fucking guitar straight in and turn their **** up and understand what the MarkIV sounds like, for REAL? I still want to turn this thing up super loud straight in and see how it feels. I'll have to wait for an appropriate time when no one else is home :D

I prefer the sound of the guitar going straight into the amp without going through a dozen other pedals. At most I will have my guitar go through a boss tuner pedal - occasionally a crybaby wah - then boss noise gate into the amp. I'm seriously considering just using the tuner though as the Mark IV is so quiet even at a high gain setting and the volume cranked.

I get the impression that even with a boxfull of pedals/effects in the signal that the Mark IV will still sound good. You can't beat the raw tone of just a guitar and an amp though.

Another plus is that it so much easier to set up at rehearsal and gigs!

I usually plug straight in for recording, no effects. It's the greatest sound ever :)

I don't use any pedals with my Marks, except for the occasional wah with my Mark IV.

I've never liked the tone of the IIC - IV Marks with a distortion pedal. IMO the amps sound much better by themselves.

When I used to play on a solid state Roland JC-120 before 1991, I had to rely on an arsenal of pedals to shape my tone. I was in the USAF and re-stationed to Germany. The mover's lost or either stole my amp & box of pedals which was a huge blessing in disguise. I then pursued my dream of getting a Boogie, MKIV. Since 1991, I have used no pedals and have been dedicated to finding the sweet spots through tweaking. Unfortunately, I used the pedals as crutches to sound good. No more of that freakin' crap! I went back to the basics and it really improved my chops. My playing used to be centered around playing the pedals and I ignored the amp, now, I play the amp. You would be surprised of all the tones that are hiding in any of Mesa's amps just waiting to be released. Give it a whirl!

Awesome... good to see so many people who enjoy it. Couldn't agree more, HappyStrat. Last night I was playing with the EQ in a way I've never tried.. I turned bass and mid to 0, treble to about 4.5, and ran the EQ in a mild V shape, and I came up with a great singing light-rhythm tone with channel volume around 3 or 4. It had the feel of high-gain lead without the searing complexity of the overtones.

phyrexia said:
older i get, the less i use my toys (but the more i want them)

Oh that is so funny but so true!!

When I’m home or recording I play bone dry and prefer it that way! But in the past doing the copy band thing have to give people what they expect to hear, so yeah I have the rack processor going but always used it fairly light just enough for texture. Even did the rehearsals bone dry, with whatever band I was working with at the time.
But you guys above me pointed out everything that I feel.

Most satisfying sound is

GUITAR > CABLE > AMP DONE (especially while recording)

If anyone is interested, I made a post in the rigs & tones section with some results from my new found tone home

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21963

I'm a long time committed straight in guy. If you consider the built in effects of reverb & trem (on some amps) Then I'm guilty of using fx. But nooooo stomps.

Proof for me that no stomps is the way to go is our other guitar player. His pedal board must have at least 20 boxes on it. And at least once during every gig without fail he has a problem with his board. Usually its one of the 20 or so patch cords. Or that funky power supply he had to buy to provide power. And oh lawdy, lawdy the noise! Yeesh.

So the deal is that without his board working he absolutely cannot play. Even if it goes t's up during a song he just stops cold in the middle of a song. I suggested he add one more pedal....an A/B switch **** it so that you can bypass the stinkin' board when it barfs! Undependable gear kills everyone. We're looking for someone with a couple of pedals, max. If it requires a board don't bring it.

Guitar - cord - amp......and no toys in between to mess up the signal. (was it Ted Nugent who said that back in the 70s?)
noonan

Just a HUSH II C pedal into the amp for tracking. If not, its always straight in without the BS. I would do away with the HUSH if I got the chance.

I feel that the Mark IV is too abrupt and rigid on the lead channel with hi-gain settings, so I use a very low boost just to add smoothness. I haven't owned the amp very long, so it might be that I'm not used to it. Try not to use it with boost on

I find it more convenient to control the input signal volume with a EB passive volume pedal than fiddling with the volume knobs on the guitar - maybe I'm just not very coordinated. So that, and a wah are between my guitar and the mkiv.

Sometimes tremolo & delay in the fx loop, but that's the max.

Too many players seem to lose sight of what a guitar really is, and get caught up in trying to turn it into a synth noise generator.

As far as distortion pedals go, I've never found one I like. Fuzz can be cool, but its not my thing.

I have also found that even a very light boost is just adding fizz on top of an otherwise uncluttered pure unadulterated chunky thrusty tight but elastic bombastic volcanic molten lead bandsaw rip. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back