Not sure where to post this, but..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if a Line 6 TonePort UX1 USB Recorder would be sufficient to record clips to my computer, either mic'ing the amp (i'll probably get an SM57) or using the amp's slave out and a cab simulator in the included software. I don't want something that's going to sound absolutely professional, I'm mainly going to use it to record and catalog riffs that I write for my band, because I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I played a week or two after i played it lol. This just looks like a cheaper alternative to the more expensive setup that I really don't need. If this is sufficient, would it be better to get the next level up, the UX2? Thanks for the help!

Here's the links:

UX1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...X1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

UX2
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...X2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

-AJH

I would like to know too ..

I have been playing/noodling for many years. . but besides a 4 track operated by someone else, or my old casste recorder jam box .. I have never recorded.

I would love to record my mic'd amp into my PC ..

i fear the Line6 stuff may colour the sound tho?

I tried the UX2, it works pretty well! Running the slave out to the TonePort, then using the software as a cab sim only got a pretty good sound. It come with some tracking software too. Not a bad deal! At $200 With a 45 day return from MF, you can't beat it. I didn't keep mine 'cuz I have a Digidesign system and was just trying it out for the cab simulation possibilities. If I didn't already have ProTools LE and GuitarRig, I would've kept it though...

I've got the toneport ux2 and i like it. I have pro-tools digi002 board and all, and i like it. I use the Toneport for trying different effects and for laying quick ideas down. I think it is worth it. Plus, like the last post said, you can always send it back if it's not for you.

would this item work for recording my actual amp, cause I really like my tone and dont want digital stuff. Would the toneport be good or would another product suit me better?

The Toneport does have actual XLR inputs so you can mic your amp through it. Also the UX2 supplies Phantom Power for Condensor Mics. I think it is a pretty neat little box, easy to use right out of the box. Just install the software and plug into your pc and start recording!

To be honest - I don't think I've ever heard the line out of an amp sound worth a crap for recording - that goes with my Boogie as well. It's REALLY hard to beat a mic'd amp, as the speaker has a TON to do with the sound!

As far as those modeling amps go - I've got this saying that I've had for years, and I think most of you cats will concur: "If it don't make heat, it ain't worth a sheet". :D

I agree...if going with this route, I would definitely recommend micing.....really gets a more accurate, "real" representation IMO.

Though it is a bit more, I would invest in a smaller firewire interface (presonus firebox for example)....bit pricier, but comes with much better preamps and will do a better job.

Latest posts

Back