NOS Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killtone

Reaction score
I asked this question on another thread, but I wanted to get it out to more views:

How are the NOS GE 12ax7's? I have noticed that there are more of those available than just about any other NOS tube and they are reasonbly priced. Is that because no one wants them?

I am looking for a good tube for V1 in my Mark IV without breaking the bank. :wink:

IMO, which is a little limited since i have only been through 40 or so 12AX7s in the past 12-18 months ... is that it depends.

here are the variables -
1. amp - nuff said'
2. musical style - high gain, blues, clean, wide-range ??
3. guitar - yep, i noticed one setup sounded good with my 335 and sucked with my strats.
4. your ears - if it sounds good to you ... it probably sounds good.

i have become partial to JAN Philips 12ax7wa in v1. have one in the LSC and it is pretty musical. putting another one in Mark III. i have one that does not sound so good ...

a lot of these tubes are unique - used - aged.

i keep hearing Mullard ... old Mullard. and I keep trying to get a Telefunken for a semi-reasonable price to try. lucky for me, the cost isn't a BIG issue, but i try to be a little frugal.

good luck and let us know how it works out.

rvschulz said:
IMO, which is a little limited since i have only been through 40 or so 12AX7s in the past 12-18 months ... is that it depends.

That I think is more than most folks may possible use in a life time.

But I guess that can raise quickly. I went from never changing a tube in like 25 or so years, (no wonder my 66 pro sounded flat!!!) to now having bought and fooled around with 8 in the last 2 months.

I'll be in TA in no time....(Tubes Anonymous)

There are two basic types of GE 12ax7 tubes, longplate 12ax7 and shortplate 12ax7a/7025. The longplate is a great sounding tube, super for blues tones, but is versatile. They can often be slightly microphonic, but the heavy bottle they used helps when in the amp. I have several of them. The shortplate is better suited for combo amps due to the shortplate being inherently less susceptible to microphonics. It has a great sound also.

Either GE vintage tube pretty much kills the modern production tubes for tone to my ears. Great value and inexpensive to experiment to see for yourself. Peace.

Back